perfsonar-user - Re: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP MP's

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP MP's

  • From: <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP MP's
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:02:30 -0400 (EDT)

Yes OWAMP daemon deployment looks client-server so

I can trigger from
(1) my machine to say nms-rthr.atla.net.internet2.edu

but not between say

(2) nms-rthr.atla.net.internet2.edu and nms-rthr.hous.net.internet2.edu which
is what i would like to do.

With the BWCTL tool i am able to trigger measurements between pair of hosts
(like 2 above) but not with OWAMP

Im guessing you have been able to trigger on-demand BWCTL measurements between
the below hosts and the ones in Europe.

It seems to me that these nodes dont have the Perfsonar PS toolkit deployed on
them and just have the BWCTL MP deployed. What do you think?

Since i need to able to do a mesh traceroute as well I will have to find a
mechanism to do so between these hosts.

Thanks again!

Madhav

Victor Saez

date Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM
subject Re: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP MP's
signed-by gmail.com

I got more hosts with BWCTL enabled on US on another mail:

nms-rthr.atla.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.hous.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.wash.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.newy.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.chic.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.kans.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.hous.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.losa.net.internet2.edu
nms-rthr.seat.net.internet2.edu

I can't tell you much about OWAMP, I'm also making the final research but I'm
not using OWAMP (but I'll take a look if I've got time), so I can't tell you
about it.

With a quick view I see it's client to server, so you could check the
measurements to (p.ex) one of the servers above, but you would need to do the
same the other way, is that what you mean?

Kind regards,

2010/9/29
<>
Hi Victor

Thanks for replying!!

Yes perfsonarUI MP's are the only BWCTL MP's that I have seen so far. However
it looks to me that these are just standalone BWCTL MP's and not a deployment
of perfsonarBOUY service, as I was not able to retrieve these service points
by querying home look up services or get the ps toolkit homepage similar to
http://149.165.225.223/ for these sites

Besides collecting the bandwidth via BWCTL and rtt and loss via OWAMP, I also
want to be able to perform a mesh traceroute between the nodes and I have not
been able to find a mechanism to do so with these stand alone MPs ( I am able
to do so if a site has a perfsonarBOUY service deployment)

From whatever my understanding is so far it looks to me that the link

http://ndb1.internet2.edu/perfAdmin/directory.cgi

only has the servicePoints for OWAMP and BWCTL MA's and not the MP's which is
what I am looking for.

I know we can use the BWCTL Daemons listed in the above link to trigger
bandwidth measurement between any two nodes using the BWCTL command line tool,
do you know of some way I can do this for OWAMP,

I think it is only possible for me to do a test between my machine and a
machine having the OWAMP deamon.. but can i trigger it between any two nodes ?

Thanks!
Madhav