perfsonar-user - Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] perfsonarUIv0.15b: Log messages don't help finding error

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] perfsonarUIv0.15b: Log messages don't help finding error

  • From: Nina Jeliazkova <>
  • To: "Niederberger, Ralph" <>
  • Cc: "''" <>, "'Candido Rodriguez Montes'" <>, "''" <>, "'Szymon Trocha'" <>
  • Subject: Re: AW: [perfsonar-user] perfsonarUIv0.15b: Log messages don't help finding error
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:40:05 +0200

Dear Ralph,

Unfortunately MDS service management and support, it is neither mine, nor Candido's responsibility , but one of DANTE , if I am not wrong.  I hope task/activity leaders could tell us better how MDS support is expected to work, and how visualisation tool developers should be notified if some service in a distributed system like perfsonar has changed its defaults.

Best regards,
Nina

Niederberger, Ralph wrote:
Dear Candido and Nina,

I am just in the process of designing enhancements of DEISA project's
network monitoring.
Always having  promoted the idea of a standardized multi domain network
monitoring as invented (or provided) by perfsonar tools, I have to realize
that the current structure of this tool kit seems to be far away from
production services.

It is now the second time, that I am faced with a not running MDS service
(maybe it never has been one, instead only a project test service), which
leads to the problem, that I am not able to proceed with my project's goals.

I have setup my perfsonar services with authentication and because of
misorganization (mismanagement) cannot use them.
Since I seem to be the only one, who is using (let me say, tries to use)
this MDS services (authentication) the question arises, if it makes sense to
use perfsonar authentication services at all.

If it is a project service only, you should not promote it and as a
consequence I should not use it.
If it is a production service, it has to be available all the time. And this
means a running server can only be shutdown, when a new server with the same
services is available. And this should be 24 hours/7 days a week.
Letting the users know, after having been asked for this, that the service
has migrated to a new location two weeks ago and that unfortunately the
service is not the same, not providing the full software package, is not the
way to go.

Best regards

Ralph