perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Instalation of perfsonar MDM

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Instalation of perfsonar MDM

  • From: Jeff W.Boote <>
  • To: Szymon Trocha <>
  • Cc: perfSONAR users list <>, Yuri Marcell <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Instalation of perfsonar MDM
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:04:55 -0600

On May 26, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Szymon Trocha wrote:

Hi,

Yuri Marcell pisze:
Thanks, I´m doing this instalation process, but, there is another thing I´d like to now for now, it´s about the perfSONAR hierarchy, as the perfSONAR services and tools are organized. I did it below, and I´d like to know if is it right and if I forgot to put something:
LEVEL 1 - perfSONAR PS(developed in perl)
LEVEL 2 - perfsonar-lite (as a subservice from PS)
LEVEL 1 - perfSONAR(the main, developed in java)
LEVEL 2 - perfSONARBUOY(is it a kind of the main perfsonar or only a service?
LEVEL 2 - perfSONAR-NPToolkit (live CD) LEVEL 3 - perfSONARBUOY MA(Is this service included in all the perfSONAR distribuitions? If no, What is the other(s) kind of MA used?)
LEVEL 1 perfSONAR MDM(A kind of the main perfSONAR developed in java)

I think the simplest way to answer you would be to say there is no hierarchy :)
All perfSONAR products can coexist and be used independently (although I'm not 100% sure here about relations between pS-pS and pS-BUOY, NTPToolkit. I think somebody from Internet2 will answer you here).

perfSONAR-PS is simply a collection of specific services written and supported by the same group of people. That is what perfSONAR-MDM is as well. Which pieces of them you want to install together has to do with what functionality you require. As Szymon indicated, specific services may have dependencies on other services. But, there is no specific hierarchy. (This is an SOA, so each service has some amount of independence.)

As to the relationship of pS-PS with the perfSONAR-NPToolkit... The toolkit is simply a distribution/installation method that can be used for many of the pS-PS software services.

jeff

So you may want to use any product of perfSONAR MDM and there is no main or subservice. The only "hierarchy" you may see is between performance tool which runs measurements (e.g. BWCT MP), measurement infrastructure which stores data (e.g. SQL MA) and visualisation tools. In this example BWCTL MP writes to SQL MA and data is visualised by some UI.

Best regards,
--
Szymon Trocha

Poznan Supercomputing & Netw. Center ::: NETWORK OPERATION CENTER
Tel. +48 618582022 ::: http://noc.man.poznan.pl