perfsonar-user - [perfSONAR user]my confusions about perfSonar

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfSONAR user]my confusions about perfSonar

  • From: mingmin sun <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfSONAR user]my confusions about perfSonar
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:07:35 +0800

Hi everybody,
My name is Mingmin Sun from Tsinghua University in Beijing. I'm working on a project, and I am quite interesting in what perfSONAR do. According to the website and wiki, I know perfSONAR has three context: organizations, protocol, some services and tools. Some guys develope measurement tools,  and some guys wrap up the tools into perfSONAR services using perfSONAR protocol. Am I right?

Why two different release? Totally because the implementing language(java,perl)? The two release have different kind of resoures (geant resources vs internet2 resources)?

For one service, there are many servers. Does one server can only provide the information about its own domain, or it can get information from other domains? if so , how can I select a server?

Take Looking Glass Service for example, how can I know the number of measurement points and who are they ?

How to use the services? I've tried the perfSONARUI, but I can't get any information. Should I become a member of perfSonar, then I can see other's data?

I hope somebody can give me some advice.

Best regards,

    Mingmin Sun

--
Mingmin Sun
Network Research Center of Tsinghua University