perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR-PS Bwctl's Tool

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR-PS Bwctl's Tool

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] perfSONAR-PS Bwctl's Tool
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:00:47 -0500

Hsuan;

If I read this right you are trying to run a test to the local host. You can not run BWCTL tests to the local host. The client and server must be on different hosts.

The reason is that the BWCTL process needs exclusive use of all the resources (memory, CPU, network) it needs for the test. This means that only 1 BWCTL process can run on a single host. When you test to the localhost, the server and client processes both need these resources. BWCTL is designed to have the client and server negotiate a time when both processes will have the resources, and in this case only 1 process can succeed, you are guaranteed to fail. You will need 2 hosts, or run your tests against an existing BWCTL server and you should be able to run your tests.

Rich

On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:06 PM,

wrote:

Hi all,
I have install perfSONAR-PS perfSONAR-BUOY. I test bwctld by command line(service bwctld start) and bwctld have start (/etc/init.d/bwctld start: bwctld (pid 12385) already running).
When I use bwctl's tool iperf incommand line (bwctl -T iperf -s) and in the other window (bwctl -T iperf -c 127.0.0.1),the client window shown the message "bwctl: Requested tool "iperf" not supported by both servers. See the '-T' option bwctl: Available in-common: thrulay" , why cann't I use the tool iperf ? How can I use bwctl's tool iperf in command line?

Richard Carlson

1000 Oakbrook Dr
Ann Arbor, MI 48194

P: 734-352-7043