perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Issue with TELNET/SSH MP

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Issue with TELNET/SSH MP

  • From: Nicolas Simar <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Stijn Melis <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Issue with TELNET/SSH MP
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:00:36 +0100

The problem is probably not about disabling the feature (if this is the problem), but more about establishing one and only one session with the router and ensure it is being killed after some time. But the diagnosis will have to be given by Stijn.

Nicolas

Frederic LOUI wrote:
Nicolas Simar a écrit :

Frederic LOUI wrote:

Hello,

In the frame of PerfSONAR bundle 2.1 deployment, I'm currently testing TELNET/SSH 1.2 MP web services
However, I'm facing 2 major issues and I would need additional user experiences.

1) The first issue is that I can retrieve command result through CISCO/TELNET (login/password) method
but CISCO/SSH (login/password) method does not work.
==> I tested CISCO/SSH method in both production and testbed environment but no luck.
Please find hereattached to this mail the log in catalina.out file

2) Second issue, in CISCO/TELNET (and maybe SSH) mode, the web service does not release the vty properly after having executed the command.
==> The direct consequence is that the router is running out of VTY access and the router is no more accessible.
==> The only way to release the VTY is to either issue "clear line vty xx" command through the router console port access or to stop and start the TELNET/SSH MP.

There might be a feature which leave the connection open for some times. This was suggested by Simon Leinen for fastening the communication with the router. A connection is open and is left open for few minutes as when a problem is being troubleshooted, you often send multiple commands to a router. Now I would expect the telnet/SSH MP to keep using that opened session.
I am not sure that it is what creates the issue you are observing.

Nicolas

Anyone experienced such issues ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards/Frederic

[SshManager] connecting initiated ...
com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: session is down
at com.jcraft.jsch.Session.openChannel(Unknown Source)
at org.perfsonar.service.measurementPoint.remote.ssh.SshManager.executeCommand(Unknown Source)
at org.perfsonar.service.measurementPoint.lookingGlassType.bgp.adapters.CiscoSshBgpAdapter.executeCommand(Unknown Source)
at org.perfsonar.service.measurementPoint.lookingGlassType.bgp.adapters.CiscoSshBgpAdapter.takeAction(Unknown Source)
at org.perfsonar.service.measurementPoint.lookingGlassType.engine.adapters.CiscoSshAdapter.takeAction(Unknown Source)
at org.perfsonar.service.measurementPoint.lookingGlassType.engine.adapters.RequestExecutingThread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi Nicolas:

Thanks for this information. I'll wait Stijn to confirm that this feature exist.
And check with him the behavoiour of the TELNET / SSH MP.
If so, would investigate how to disable it.
Because, in our condition it can prevent NOC to get an access to the equipment.

Hi Stijn:

What is your recommendation ?
Could we have a call in order to discuss that issue ?
I have prepared a lab environnment, just tell me when you're available ! ;-)

Everyone in the MDM pilot: (And maybe everyone

Did you test the TELNET / SSHP MP and does it work like expected ?
(Especially CISCO SSH LOGIN/PASSWORD METHOD ...)

Thanks to all in advance for your help
Cheers/Frederic

--
Nicolas