perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with java rrd library in Perfsonar 2.2

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with java rrd library in Perfsonar 2.2

  • From: Loukik Kudarimoti <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Problem with java rrd library in Perfsonar 2.2
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:55:17 +0100

Hi Luuk,

There are two choices where you can set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

You only have to do it in one of them.

1) In the profile of the account used to run tomcat. This tomcat is the one used for java services. You can do this by adding the LD_LIBRARY_PATH declaration in the .bash_profile file.

2) Editing the tomcat start up script. You can declare the LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the beginning of the script. Please note that we haven't tested this approach so we can't be sure where it should be added and if it works.

We have explained where to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the the requirements section of the 2.0 manual (right at the beginning. please see here: http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfSONAR_v2.0#Requirements). It says that you have to set it in your profile. By profile, we assumed that it is understood as setting it in the .bash_profile file available in the home directory. If you think we need to add this to the manual, we are certainly happy to do this.

I just installed Perfsonar 2.2 via the bundle. I installed the
RRD-MA. After a lot of hassle with packages from the FC7 distribution,
I ended with Java, Tomcat and Ant installed from the original sources.

The installation went OK. But when I try to retrieve dat with the UI
it doesn't work anymore. I see this error in the log files:
2007-08-15 14:10:59,888 ERROR - RRDStorageManager.rrdFetch: Cannot connect
with rrdjtool native library: no jrrd in java.library.path

I gues it has something to do with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH the CLASPATH
or both. I can find references to these in the user manual. But I
can nowhere find whereto to set these variables. Also during installation
I haven't seen it mentioned.

Does somebody have the answer and doesn't this has to be addressed in
the manual?