perfsonar-user - proposed template to provide feedback/share experience on services deployment - version 0.1

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

proposed template to provide feedback/share experience on services deployment - version 0.1

  • From: Mario Reale <>
  • To: , ,
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: proposed template to provide feedback/share experience on services deployment - version 0.1
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:56:58 +0200

Deal All,

this is a proposal for a common template to provide feedback and share expertise on the deployment of the web services, and to gather the installation, configuration, start up experiences and expertise to
contribute to the consolidation of the FAQs.
Comments, corrections and suggestions are very welcome !

Kind Regards,

Mario

Proposed Template to report problems while deploying the PerfSONAR
Services GEANT2 JRA-1
version 0.1 20070502

======================================================================================================================

The idea behind this template is that points 0-11 can be filled in also if
the exact cause of the problem was not identified
and therefore the issue not solved, just to report about it. ( leaving the
remaining parts of the template empty).

On the other end, if the problem has been identified and solved (see point
1), to share this information with others,
points 12 to 17 have also to be filled in.

======================================================================================================================
0. My (our) name, organization, contact information.

1. Did I finally manage to solve the problem ( and I want to use this
template to share this information with others),
or am I still stuck with this issue ( and I would like to fill in this
template just to report about this problem
and eventually ask for help ) ?
Pls state YES or NO.

Example: YES

2. Deployed Service showing problems: (Name of the Service or the component)

Example: PerfSONAR RRD MA JAVA implentation

3. Used operating system specification : i.e. I deployed this service on
which OS? ( /etc/issue on a Linux box)

Example: Fedora Core release 5

4. Corresponding used kernel version : ( output of 'uname -a' on a Linux box )

Example : 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5smp

5. Source for service set up:
(i.e. Where did I get the informations from): ( URL, and/or Document Name )

Example:
http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfSONAR_v2.0#RRD_Measurement_Archive_.28Java.29

6. If the service set up requires the definition of an initial set of ENV
variables, please specify your settings.

Example : INSTALL_DIR = /usr/local/perfsonar

7. Used Linux shell to perform the installation/configuration/start up steps

Example : /bin/bash

8. Used Linux user to perform the installation/configuration/start up steps

Example : root

9. Were the provided instructions (at least in principle, irrespective of the
specific encountered problem )
clear enough to clearly download, install, configure, start the required
services or was it necessary to guess
or use trial-and-error at some stage in the service set up ? Pls state
YES or NO.

Example : NO

10. At which step did problems show out ?
A problem can be a faulty behaviour of the software or the impossibility
to proceed
further in the set up due to lack of information in the documentation

Generic Steps :
4.1 Download of initially required files
4.2 Editing of a required configuration file or editing of an
auxiliary data file
4.3 Download of further required files ( config files,
templates, libraries, external packages...)
4.4 Performing web service configuration
4.5 Starting the service : the service couldn't start or
started reporting errors
4.6 Performing the very first minimal smoke and basic black
box , functional tests

Example : At stage 1 : Initial download of files

11. Problem symptoms : Phenomenology of the problem. Describe the problem.

Provide a short description including possibly reported error messages
from the service or in relevant corresponding log files
(specify the reference log file)

Example : Tomcat is not starting. catalina.out states " impossible to
find the web application".

==================================================================================================================================

12. Guessed cause of the problem ( generally to be filled in if answer to
point 1 is 'YES') : Description.

Example:

While debugging the problem I realized that the problem was due to the
wrong version of the python-ldap package.

13. Which file did I have to modify or add to solve this problem ( absolute
path on my node )

Example:

/usr/local/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0-RC8/perfsonar/conf/services.properties
MODIFIED
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.7/conf/catalina.properties MODIFIED
/var/www/html/repo/app/apps.conf ADDED

14. Relevant log files I looked at, which have helped me to understand what
the problem was:

Example:

/var/log/messages
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.7/logs/catalina.out

15. For each modified file, please report exactly the required modifications
you have performed on them (see point 13)

Example:

file :
/usr/local/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0-RC8/perfsonar/conf/services.properties :
I added
service.r.ma.format=rrd

16. For each added file, please provide an example of the one you used to
solve the problem. ( see point 13)

Example:

I have put on http://www.mydomain.com/myweb/apps.conf an example for
the file I had to add.

17. Summary/Issue Classification item

The observed problem can in the end be classified as (items are not
necessarely mutually exclusive):

1. missing or unclear/wrong set of service setup
instructions/documentation (i.e. : Just adding a set of instructions steps
which were not reported has solved the issue)

If so, i.e. the problem can be related in any mean by a mistake or
a lack in the install instructions
or could anyhow be avoided in future by improving the provided
documentation,
please provide a set of instructions you consider actually missing
from the set of already provided ones to set up the
specific service, referring to a document on the web or a wiki
page, providing a set of suggested editing instructions
like :

For Example:

With reference to the doc/instructions at

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfSONAR_v2.0#RRD_Measurement_Archive_.28Java.29

"(I would) add before line 5 ('.......then issue the command
"service network restart"......' ) the following sentence
"Perform now the login as root and then..."

2. wrong version of the reference operating system used ( no upgrade
of a specific OS package could solve the problem)
3. wrong version of a specific package on my OS ( I could correct
this problem by upgrading package X to version # Y)
if so, pls provide the exact package names and version which
proved to let the service work properly.
4. a specific OS or external package missing on my node. If so,
please specify the exact package name and version and
the source you used for it
5. firewalling or port # issues ( unreachable services, wrong port
or unaccessible port )
if so, pls provide the used cure : I configured port #X to be
accessible on my node for TCP..
6. unavailable reference services or nodes ( for example, the look
up service I specified was not up)
7. wrong version of the Linux kernel I was using or wrong kernel
configuration.
if so, please report about which kernel version or which config
before kernel rebuild have solved the problem.
8. wrong set of permissions or ownership on a file (for example
adding 'o+x' on the file $INSTALL_DIR/myservice.config has
solved the problem).
9. wrong set of permissions or ownership on a directory ( for
example chmod 766 $INSTALL_DIR/logfiles/ has solved the problem)
10. a clear or probable bug in a provided deployment, download or
configuration script.
if so, please make sure you specify here the bug and you post it
in a reference global bug tracking system
if available.
11. a missing user in the node. If so, please specify which one.
12. a wrongly set password to access a specific service. If so, pls
specify where.
13. missing X509 certificates on a specific location on the
filesystem, or corresponding missing CA files, or wrongly
set ownerships or file access modes on these.

14. any other issue : please specify it. (this will help to define a
new "issue category" on later versions of this template)

Example Answers to point 17:

Answer 1
========
Item Category: 4
The package perl-DBI was mising. I installed version 1.32-9 taken
from rpmfind.net at this exact link: http://.....

Answer 2
========
Item Category: 9
I had to issue 'chmod 744 /var/www/html'

Answer 3
========
Item Category: 1

With reference to the doc/instructions at

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfSONAR_v2.0#RRD_Measurement_Archive_.28Java.29

"(I would) add before line 5 ('.......then issue the command
"service network restart"......' ) the following sentence
"Perform now the login as root and then..."

  • proposed template to provide feedback/share experience on services deployment - version 0.1, Mario Reale, 05/02/2007