perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] GEANT2 RRD^H^H^Hutilization MA down; perfsonarUI feedback

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] GEANT2 RRD^H^H^Hutilization MA down; perfsonarUI feedback

  • From: Loukik Kudarimoti <>
  • To: Simon Leinen <>
  • Cc: , Vedrin Jeliazkov <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] GEANT2 RRD^H^H^Hutilization MA down; perfsonarUI feedback
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:07:45 +0000

Simon Leinen wrote:
[Is there a more suitable place for such inquiries?]

I just tried to show the perfsonarUI client to a fellow PERT member
here, but we noticed that the GEANT2 RRD (link utilization) MA doesn't
seem to be up. This is corroborated by the Smokeping graphs:
Sorry about that. I was on holidays and couldn't restart tomcat. The service is now up.

Vedrin, Can you please add

to the GEANT2 maintainer's list?

Thanks,
Loukik.
http://netmon.acad.bg/smokeping?target=svc.prfs.RRDS.GEANT

My colleague also had a few interesting remarks about the perfsonarUI
interface. His first question was

* Why isn't this application available on a Web page?
(running on the server side in a servlet or something)

A few other observations:

* It is still somewhat too hard to get a running perfsonarUI client,
even if one already has a suitable Java runtime environment: The
MA.conf file in the perfsonarUI package distribution (.zip) has to
be replaced by a newer MA.conf which can be found on the JRA1 Wiki
*if* you look very hard. In addition, although the caption (anchor)
of that file says "MA.conf", the URL ends in "MAs.conf", so you have
to rename it for installation (please don't tell me that this is
done on purpose "for safety" :-).

Note that this would be much easier if the application was
implemented as a Web page - the MA.conf and Hades.conf files could
then be centrally managed.

* Data retrieval takes a very long time, especially if you don't
deactivate irrelevant or non-functional MA servers beforehand.
(Wouldn't it be nice if this were done automatically? And does
anyone else find "Endpoints" counter-intuitive as a name for the
interface that allows me to select/unselect measurement servers?)

Regards,

  • Re: [perfsonar-user] GEANT2 RRD^H^H^Hutilization MA down; perfsonarUI feedback, Loukik Kudarimoti, 11/07/2006