perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Installation problem with v1.0

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Installation problem with v1.0

  • From: Joe Metzger <>
  • To: Chris Welti <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Installation problem with v1.0
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:57:51 -0500

Chris,
The "cannot stat" error is one that I have ran into as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the install script doesn't
actually install things into the target directory you
specified. It REQUIRES that you un-tar the distribution
into your installation target directory.

If you give it an empty directory as the location
to install, you will still have an empty directory after
the installation, and several scripts will have failed,
some of them silently, including the one that
creates the test MA config file.

--Joe

Jason Zurawski wrote:
Chris;
I started another try today with the installation of perfSONAR 1.0 today.
I got the tomcat/axis instance running, but then the installation of
the perfSONAR software failed. It seems that a memory leak occured, the machine
just froze and didn't react any more not even via console.
All memory was exhausted on the machine including the swap space.
This is not very funny, as there are other applications running on that machine.

Anyway, here is the output of the install.pl script:

Welcome to perfSONAR v1.0

Enter Information Common to the LS and MA:

Enter base path for the application:[/usr/local/perfSONAR-1.0]: Enter java path for the application:[/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun]: Enter the hostname:[lsmp2]: Enter the max file size of the log files (indicate KB or MB):[500KB]: Enter the number of backup logs to keep:[10]: eXist home directory:[/usr/local/exist]:

Do you want to install the RRD MA?[y/n]: y
Enter Information Specific to the RRD MA:

Tomcat home directory:[/usr/local/tomcat]: Axis home directory:[/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis]: Enter Tomcat port:[8080]: 8180

Be sure to edit your CLASSPATH:
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/axis-ant.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/commons-discovery-0.2.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/jaxrpc.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/saaj.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/axis.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/log4j-1.2.8.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/resolver.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xercesImpl.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/perfSONAR-generic.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/activation.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xmlrpc-1.2-patched.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/mail.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/commons-pool-1.1.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xmlParserAPIs.jar:/usr/local
/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/perfSONAR-rrdma.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xmlsec.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xercesSamples.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xml-apis.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/rrdjtool.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xmldb.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/jdom.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/xalan.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib/exist.jar
export CLASSPATH

Please be sure axis is installed, and tomcat is running.

Enter rrdtool path:[/usr/local/rrdtool]:
Be sure to edit your LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/rrdtool/lib:/usr/local/perfSONAR-1.0/contrib/rrdjtool/build
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Enter general service name:[Measurement Archive Service]: SWITCH Measurement Archive Service
Measurement Archive access point (URL):[http://lsmp2:8180/axis/services/MeasurementArchiveService]: http://lsmp2.switch.ch:8180/axis/services/MeasurementArchiveService
Measurement Archive service name:[Java MA]: SWITCH Java RRD MA
Measurement Archive service type:[MA]: Measurement Archive service description:[Java RRD MA, perfSONAR project]: SWITCH Java RRD MA, perfSONAR

Do you want to register the RRD MA with a LookupService?[y/n]: y

Lookup Information to register with (URL):[http://lsmp2:8180/axis/services/LookupService]: http://selena.acad.bg:8070/axis/services/LookupService
MA Storage Conf File:[/usr/local/perfSONAR-1.0/conf/rrd-database_TEST.xml]: /home/welti/perfsonar/perfSONAR-MA/service/etc/rrd-database_SWITCH.xml

At about this point in the installation there are some routines that attempt to compile the rrdj libs for the specific machine. If there is some sort of memory issue going on, I would bet it is related to the use of the SDK. I suppose in future releases we shouldn't rely on the existence of the SDK at all, as the compiling has also caused some issues on other users machines. The strange part is that when these scripts have failed in the past they simply install the older packaged jar in place of a fresh one.

Do you want the MA to use an eXist database?[y/n]: n
Processing file /usr/local/perfSONAR-1.0/wsdd/ma-service-undeploy.wsdd
<Admin>Done processing</Admin>
Processing file /usr/local/perfSONAR-1.0/wsdd/ma-service-deploy.wsdd
<Admin>Done processing</Admin>

Because your scripts probably failed somewhere in the middle, the installer is probably stuck in a directory that is not the starting root. That would be my guess as to why the mv is failing.

mv: cannot stat `client/MA*': No such file or directory

Do you want to install the LS?[y/n]: n

Do you want to clean up the installation?[y/n]: n
: root@lsmp2[perfSONAR-1.0]; Read from remote host lsmp2: Connection reset by peer

I will address these (and all other issues) as best as I can before the next release. Sorry for your troubles, and hopefully we can get this worked out.

-jason