perfsonar-user - Re: [GN2-JRA1] perfSONAR installations: Upgrade deadline

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [GN2-JRA1] perfSONAR installations: Upgrade deadline

  • From: "Vedrin Jeliazkov" <>
  • To: Sven Ubik <>
  • Cc: <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: [GN2-JRA1] perfSONAR installations: Upgrade deadline
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:05:26 +0300

Hi Sven,

Sven Ubik

> Hi,
>
> I moved our perfSONAR installation to a new machine (updated in the
> RRD type MA Service Installations) and I upgraded to perfSONAR v1.0.

Many thanks! I've also updated MA.conf, referenced at perfsonarUI's wiki page,
with the new address of your service.

<snip>

> - On the main download page (http://www.perfsonar.net/download.html)
> there is a link called "Tool installation tips", which does not
> work. It points to editing version of some page - URL ends with
> "action=edit", when I remove the suffix, it points to empty page.

The correct URL seems to be:

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/Tools_installation

<snip>

> - Is there some public LS where I can register my MA so that people can
> find it?

There are two publicly available LSes listed here:

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/Lookup_Services

Please feel free to start registering Cesnet's RRD MA at:

http://selena.acad.bg:8070/axis/services/LookupService

You might also want to reduce the registration frequency (the default is 30000
ms). ISTF's RRD MA is registering with LS once per hour - we've set the
following in the perfSONAR-1.0/conf/service.properties.ma file:

component.registrator.interval=3600000

There's one more LS that I'm aware of, run by RNP:

http://200.128.80.172/axis/services/LookupService

> - If not or when I want to install my own LS, I noticed somewhere
> (very discretely hidden, definitely not in perfSONAR v1.0 installation
> instructions) that LS cannot share the same Tomcat installation with MA,
> what is the recommended way to install LS and MA on the same PC?

At present, the recommended way is to run LS and RRD MA in separate instances
of Tomcat&Axis (either listening on different ports on the same host, or on
different hosts). Some more details are provided here:

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/Multiple_services_on_Tomcat

> - I missed the purpose of eXist database, what is it used for?

eXist is required for LS' database and optional (but highly recommended) for
storing RRD MA's XML config file. If you have to deal with a large RRD MA XML
config file, this could improve service performance.

<snip>

Please consider allowing access to the newly installed RRD MA from 194.141.0.9
- this is the IP address of our (temporary) perfSONAR service availability
monitoring solution:

http://netmon.acad.bg/smokeping?target=svc.prfs.RRDS.CESNET

Kind regards,
Vedrin