perfsonar-user - asking for experiences using perfsonar in production environment/NOC

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

asking for experiences using perfsonar in production environment/NOC

  • From: ulisses <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: asking for experiences using perfsonar in production environment/NOC
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:49:48 +0200

Hi all

some days ago there was a discusion about the installation experiences in
gatech. In that
mails, it was discussed the setup of the applications, installing java,
tomcat, etc...
and installing the applications but without configuring it for monitoring of
specific devices, I'm
interested in this part: I would like to know how much time/effort is needed
to configure the applications
to monitor specific interfaces and the mature state of the visualization
tools.

currently I think there are two main front-ends that can be used by NOCs:

- perfSonarUI: which provides display information for Hades/IPPM MA and RRD MA

http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/index.php/PerfsonarUI

RRD MA screen shot:
http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/images/5/51/PerfsonarUI-RRD.png
IPPM/HADES screeb shot:
http://wiki.perfsonar.net/jra1-wiki/images/3/38/PerfsonarUI-Hades.png

To deploy an RRD MA an NREN has to define a XML config file, which
currently cannot be created
automatically from routers' configurations. Currently only shows
utilization and capacity.

To deploy an IPPM/Hades MA the only thing needed is to download an up to
date configuration file
that includes all IPPM/Hades MA.

- CNM visualization tool: is a generic weather-map like visualization tool,
uses a fetcher
script to download the information to be included in the map.Currently
there is one fetcher
for the RRD MA services.

In general, the RRD MA stores reads any kind of information. But seeing the
perfSonarUI/CNM, which
currently showd capacity and utilization, I assume that this information is
retrieved from SNMP
in the first place. Am I wrong? Is people generating automatically rrd config
files from routers'
config files?

I understand that both perfSonarUI and CNM visualization tools need to be
installed in all workstations
used by the NOC. Maybe It could be interesting to run them as a java applet.
Any comment on this? Anybody tried it?

any comment will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Ulisses