perfsonar-announce - Informational Notice about OWAMP Policy Settings

Subject: perfSONAR Announcements

Informational Notice about OWAMP Policy Settings

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: perfsonar-announce <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Informational Notice about OWAMP Policy Settings
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:23:45 -0500

Greetings;

We have received some recent reports about OWAMP tests being denied. An
example message from the command line of the client (similar messages may
appear in /var/log/messages on the server end) indicates a policy constraint
is preventing tests from completing:

> [user@host
> ~]$ owping host2
> owping: FILE=capi.c, LINE=709, Server denied test: host2
> owping: FILE=owping.c, LINE=195, Session Failed!

We believe this is related to a setting on the OWAMP servers side that is
described in the /etc/owampd/owampd.limits file. This limit sets the maximum
'bandwidth' that a daemon may be able to consume, and is being triggered when
a host participants in a medium to large number of simultaneous tests. This
setting was originally set to be 100 Kbps, and the project has taken steps to
upgrade this to 1 Mbps in the next release of the software. In the meantime,
users can make this change manually, by either editing the file, and changing
the “bandwidth” value to ‘1M' from its current setting, or, if you’ve not
manually changed the OWAMP limits before, by replacing the entire file with:

> # setup the root class with unlimited disk and bandwidth
> limit root with disk=0,\
> bandwidth=0,\
> delete_on_fetch=on
>
> # Limit non-authorized users to 10G of disk storage, and 1M of bandwidth
> # (overall for all non-authorized users). Unspecified values default to
> # parent permissions
> limit regular with parent=root,\
> disk=10G,\
> bandwidth=1M
>
> # Default everything to regular user access
> assign default regular

Thanks, and pass along any questions about this setting to
.

-jason

  • Informational Notice about OWAMP Policy Settings, Jason Zurawski, 08/14/2014