perfsonar-announce - Advisement on pS Performance Toolkit Disk Space Management

Subject: perfSONAR Announcements

Advisement on pS Performance Toolkit Disk Space Management

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: "" <>, perfsonar-announce <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Advisement on pS Performance Toolkit Disk Space Management
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:58:59 -0400

Greetings;

We have received reports recently of users seeing kernel panics when
installing new software, or rebooting after a long time of being in use. In
triaging and debugging this, the root cause seems to relate to a lack of
space in the /boot partition on the node. CentOS changed the way that the
initial partitioning was handled in version 6 of the operating system,
meaning that our project has less ability to control the space allotment
outcome via the installation process, and the result is that the limited
space in /boot can only support a small number of kernels.

We have written some instructions on how to mitigate this on the FAQ site:

http://psps.perfsonar.net/toolkit/FAQs.html#Q72

For now we are recommending that admins check the space available in /boot,
and use yum to remove older kernels that are no longer needed (saving one
backup is always a good idea). Future release announcements will also
feature a reminder of this, until the project can figure out a better
solution to either alarming on this condition, or altering the disk layout so
it is no longer a serious concern.

Thanks for your support of perfSONAR, and please relay any questions you
might have;

-jason

  • Advisement on pS Performance Toolkit Disk Space Management, Jason Zurawski, 04/23/2014