performingarts - Meeting notes

Subject: Performing Arts Advisory

Meeting notes

  • From: Ann Doyle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Meeting notes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:35:29 -0400

Hello all -- It was wonderful to see many of you in Philadelphia last week at our evening meeting. I wasn't able to run the meeting and take perfect notes, but I do want to recap key points from our conversation as some interesting project ideas emerged.

In attendance:
Eric Miller -- University of Pennsylvania
Fred Rees - Indiana University and Purdue University at Indianapolis
Brian Shepard -- University of Southern California
Mark George -- Cleveland Institute of Music
Christianne Orto -- Manhattan School of Music
Richard Kim -- Manhattan School of Music
Kevin Abbott -- Notre Dame
Hubert Daugherty -- Rice University
Lloyd Shorter -- University of Delaware
Bruce Block -- Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
Jay Brazelle -- Virginia Commonwealth University
Tom Knab -- Case Western Reserve University
John Yost -- Bradley University

Welcome RIAA:
Bruce Block gave us an overview of the RIAA mission, goals and projects. RIAA represents major labels and, of relevance to this group, provides content to university music departments. Their primary areas of focus are education, litigation, legislation and technology. Group interest was expressed in developing methods to make recordings available to students for educational use. Bruce invited the group to work collectively to define their needs more explicitly for the RIAA's consideration. There was consensus that the National Association of Schools of Music should be involved in defining needs. I agreed to convene an interested group to continue these discussions. Please let me know if you would like to work with me.

Member Updates:
Brian Shepard -- Working with his new institution, USC Thornton School of Music and the Integrated Media Systems Lab on upcoming projects.
Mark George -- CIM has been providing video conferencing to military bases in Iraq to provide music and connect military personnel with family members in Ohio.
Fred Rees -- March 3 and 4, 2006 IUPUI is hosting a 2-day state-wide symposium on research, performance, live demos. Contact Fred if interested in attending. Fred's email is
Christianne Orto -- MSM is collaborating with Chinese Music Conservatories in Shanghai and Beijing where there is a strong interest in jazz. MSM is involving Jazz at Lincoln Center in these projects.
Lloyd Shorter -- University of Delaware now has three fully equipped T.V./Video conference studios and are hosting an increasing number of high-profile education events with masters such as Phillip Glass. They would be interested in netcasting some of these events. I agreed to look into the possibility of Internet2 helping with this on a project basis.
John Yost -- Bradley University is starting projects with Bangor and Delhi India this year. Bradley is also involved in NIH and music grants funding work on aging and alzheimer's.
Tom Knab -- Case Western is an Open Student Television Network (OSTN) member and interesting in working on film project involving OSTN and Internet2. Choreographer Gary Galbraith is ready to create a new multi-site performance building on the success of 2002 Kinetic Shadows. He is also involved in dancer wellness workshops bridging his background in biomedical engineering and as a Martha Graham principal. Case faculty also presenting their latest research on stereoscopic technology at SIGGRAPH. The annual New Media Consortium conference will be hosted June 7-10, 2006 in Cleveland with Case Western's involvement.

If I have missed anything critical, please feel free to reply with additions. Again, it was great to have a wonderful set of discussions with you in person! All best. -- Ann

Ann Doyle
Arts & Humanities Initiatives
Internet2
(734) 352-7011