ntacpeering - Next steps in publishing a routing policy for AS11537

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Next steps in publishing a routing policy for AS11537

  • From: Steve Wallace <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Next steps in publishing a routing policy for AS11537
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 18:18:14 +0000

[peering and routing working group chairs, grateful if we could add this topic to a future meeting]

Greetings, I apologize for duplicates due to cross posting.

As you know, last year the community’s efforts to update their IRR records allowed Internet2 to publish a nearly complete routing policy for I2PX. This ensured continued access to I2PX peers such as Google and Hurricane Electric, and, equally important, improved routing security for us all. Internet2 published the routing policy for I2PX is the as-set "RADB::AS11164:AS-ALL”.

As-set RADB::AS11164:AS-ALL’s top level members include:
  • AS11164
  • AS11164:AS-INTERNAL
  • AS11164:AS-PARTICIPANTS

The members of AS11164:AS-PARTICIPANTS include the published policies of Internet2-member organization that peer directly with I2PX:

AS-10437-AS-KYRON
AS-396926-AS-MISSION-C
AS-40581-INET
AS-4600
AS-AS36412-ALL
AS-C-LIGHT-SCLR-TRANSIT
AS-CAAREN
AS-CALRENDC
AS-DARTMOUTH
AS-FLRNET-AGGREGATE
AS-FRGP
AS-GPN-PEERS
AS-IAST-CONE
AS-ICCN
AS-INGIG
AS-KINBER
AS-LEARN-COMM
AS-LEARN-I2PX
AS-LONI-MEMBERS
AS-MAX-GIGAPOP
AS-MICHNET
AS-MORENET
AS-NCREN
AS-NETWORKMAINE
AS-NJEDGE-RE
AS-NLG-PARTICIPANTS
AS-ONENETOK
AS-OWEN-INTERNAL
AS-PNW-GIGAPOP-I
AS-REED-MEMBERS-I2
AS-SMITHSONIAN
AS-SOX-TRANSIT
AS-UCHICAGO
AS-UMICN
AS-UNIVHAWAII
AS-UOFM
AS-UWSYSNET
AS-WISCNET-WRIPS
AS103:AS-ALL
AS10466:AS-ALL
AS10578:AS-ALL
AS1224
AS1351
AS210:AS-CONE
AS22335:AS-CONE
AS22742:AS-CUSTOMERS
AS2495:AS-MEMBERS
AS2534
AS3630:AS-ALL
AS3676:AS-UIOWA-CONE
AS3807:AS-CONE
AS3851:AS-ALL
AS3999
AS40220:AS-ALL
AS4130
AS46435:AS-CONE
AS5050:AS-PEERING
AS55:AS-ALL
AS600:AS-TRANSIT
AS62600:AS-CONE
AS7896:AS-NU

We feel it’s now time to discuss how we wish to publish the routing policy for AS11537. One approach is to mirror the I2PX policy. Each Internet2-member orginization that peers directly with AS11537 would ensure their existing as-set (the one we use for I2PX) contains the superset of originating ASNs for both the R&E and I2PX peering sessions. For many, this approach may not require any modifications to the existing as-set. As noted above, we plan to engage the routing working group as forum to discus this approach, or an alternative. Grateful for comments and concerns. We haven’t established a target date for publishing the policy, but would prefer something within the next 90 days if reasonable.

Thanks,

Steven

  • Next steps in publishing a routing policy for AS11537, Steve Wallace, 02/05/2021