ntacpeering - Re: Full Tables or Not

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Full Tables or Not

  • From: Nick Buraglio <>
  • To: David Farmer <>
  • Cc: Michael H Lambert <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Full Tables or Not
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:22:46 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I've seen this quite a lot in the wild. There are a lot of smaller ISPs with older devices out there like 6500's with sup720's that smaller regional providers are still using - even with dual stacked networks. They take fabric peerings, have any number of full transit providers and then either prune the routes via AS-Path or take default plus direct from the transits. The issue of capacity is solved since they can fail over or lose their IXP bi-laterals or any of the transits and always fall back to default.
Even with the newer devices they tend to operate on the cheap just to stay afloat and since their routing model works well they typically optimize for throughput and port count rather than route table size. MTB replacement is significantly longer in this space. As with some smaller universities, their budget goes toward the most visible things that can be easily augmented such as raw transit.  Given the choice of adding more capacity because your upstreams run too hot or forklift replacing the equipment to take more routes, capacity wins every time up until the interface speed or port count doesn't meet needs.

nb

---
Nick Buraglio
Energy Sciences Network; AS293