ntacpeering - Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18

  • From: Ryan Harden <>
  • To: Steven Wallace <>
  • Cc: Pete Siemsen <>, Matt Mullins <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 04:02:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

All,

After typing a response with anecdotes and hypotheticals then deleting it two
times, I’ll just add that, I’m firmly in the camp of, "thou shall not
announce a prefix to a destination thou cannot guarantee delivery to.” A
router can only match the longest prefixes it knows about and has no
mechanism to consider prefix lengths it hasn’t received. So when a router
receives only the aggregate, that is the “only valid route” for it to chose
from, regardless of the intent of the originator of that prefix and/or a
longer prefix announced elsewhere.

Let’s not forget that BGP exchanges NLRI or "Network Layer Reachability
Information”. If you’re announcing a prefix via BGP, you are asserting that
you, by definition, have _reachability_ to the destination.

Rule #1: Only announce prefixes you can reliable deliver service to.
Rule #2: Know the consequences of announcing a more specific to a subset of
your peers.
Rule #3: The world only knows _what_ you announced, not _why_. It’s on you to
announce in a way to ensures reachability to your services.

In the case of Apple/TR-CPS, they should be pressured to either only announce
the prefixes they can provide reachability to, or ensure reachability via an
aggregate. Seriously, in what world does Apple think it’s a good idea to
announce an aggregate into TR-CPS that blackholes the longer prefixes of that
aggregate that aren’t in that local data center? They could easily fix this
by only announcing the longer prefixes that are reachable via that peering.
We shouldn’t have to reverse-engineer their routing decisions to ensure we
can reach their destinations.

In the case of DDoS scrubbing services, this is essentially sanctioned BGP
hijacking by a third party. If you subscribe to and employ their services,
you should be aware of and understand the consequences of doing so, good and
bad.

/Ryan

Ryan Harden
Research and Advanced Networking Architect
University of Chicago - ASN160
P: 773.834.5441