ntacpeering - Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18

  • From: Steven Wallace <>
  • To: John Hernandez <>
  • Cc: Brad Fleming <>, Pete Siemsen <>, Matt Mullins <>,
  • Subject: Re: Peering and Routing WG Meeting Notes (2017/04/18
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 19:29:29 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I disagree.

The most specific route is the only valid route for a destination. If a multi-homed network isn’t accepting routes from peers, and therefore is missing more specifics, then it will result in blackholes.

 "A route describing a smaller set of
   destinations (a longer prefix) is said to be more specific than a
   route describing a larger set of destinations (a shorter prefix);
   similarly, a route describing a larger set of destinations (a shorter
   prefix) is said to be less specific than a route describing a smaller
   set of destinations (a longer prefix).  Routers must use the most
   specific matching route (the longest matching network prefix) when
   forwarding traffic.”