ntacpeering - Re: NTAC technical review of US-UCAN proposal

Subject: NTAC Peering Working Group

Re: NTAC technical review of US-UCAN proposal

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: NTAC technical review of US-UCAN proposal
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:57:50 -0500

NTAC,

Reminder: The NTAC Routing/Peering Working Group call is today
at 4:00EDT/1:00PDT. 734-615-7474 or 866-411-0013 access code 0133542.

The BoF at Joint Techs provided a good introduction to the US-UCAN
proposal. Chris Robb presented slides that gave an overview of the
proposed network design. Chris will be providing a copy of his
slides to the NTAC. The slides generated a lot of good discussion
and some unanswered questions.

The next step for the review team is to first determine a timeline
for our review. When the AOAC first asked for the review, the grant
had not been awarded, and we were provided no deadline. Now that
the grant has been awarded, we likely need to accelerate the process.
I've escalated this question via John Moore to the AOAC. We also
need to determine what additional information we would like to have
to complete the review process.

A significant question that came up at the BoF was the scope of the
review. Are we reviewing just the "red/Internet2" portion of the
US-UCAN network or the entire US-UCAN proposal. Many community
members felt that this may be an opportunity for the community to
be served by a single layer 2/3 network, rather than building two
new competing networks that we could not sustain long-term. This
topic came up again at the Connectors BoF. The Internet2 staff
is taking direction from the I2 Board. I've escalated the review
scope question to the AOAC.

Thanks to the following people that have volunteered to assist with
a technical review of the US-UCAN proposal:

Michael Lambert, PSC
David Crowe, Jr, NERO/Oregon
David Farmer, UMinn, Northern Light GigaPOP
Caren Litvanyi, Indiana University, GRNOC
David Sinn, PNWGP
Akbar Kara, LEARN
Paul Schopis, OARNet
David Pokorney, FLR