netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] Based on community input, suggesting an DNS Resilience Initiative

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] Based on community input, suggesting an DNS Resilience Initiative

  • From: Andrew Gallo <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] Based on community input, suggesting an DNS Resilience Initiative
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:25:11 -0500

I'll share a recent effort I completed mapping out how we get to the root name servers.  I only focused on the roots; I realize that in order to resolve a name, you have to traverse more servers, but just as a first look at how we're connected to critical infrastructure, I found this informative.

I mapped out our paths to each of the roots (see two attached graphviz graphs) and also counted the number of 'exit' points (number of physical exit points, and number of 1st hop ASNs- we have a lot of bi-lateral peers reachable via a peering switch).

I'd say, we're pretty well positioned for access to the roots.

I'd be happy to discuss my methodology, and how others might use the script I wrote.

Thanks.