netsec-sig - [Security-WG] November update

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] November update

  • From: Adair Thaxton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] November update
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 15:55:03 +0000

I'm a bit late on the update this month, sorry!  Most of my energy has
been devoted to convincing my three-year-old that he DID, in fact, want
to wear the Fireman Sam costume I spent hours making, and not the cheap
polyester Catboy suit I found on Amazon Warehouse.

We've been soliciting feedback on BGPMon replacements - if you missed
those discussion times, you can email me () and
Steve () with some feedback of what you'd like to see,
how you'd like to be alerted, and what you're planning to do when BGPMon
goes away.

Steve, Andrew Gallo, and I had a great time at our EDUCAUSE poster
session on MANRS.  If you haven't seen the Internet2 MANRS website, it's
here: https://www.internet2.edu/communities-groups/security/manrs/
Also, we took a look at the official MANRS participants list so you can
be properly recognized at TechEx - if your organization is added between
now and TechEx, please let me know so we can add you to the list!

As we continue to push MANRS, Steve has been correlating a lot of data
about how many of you have legacy space in the ARIN region and haven't
signed the ARIN `LRSA.  If you haven't signed the LRSA, you're unable to
do RPKI for your legacy space with ARIN.  How can we make it more
enticing for your organization to sign the LRSA?  Are there any
misconceptions we can clear up?  What is the sticking point for your
organization?

Nifty link of the month, with a hat-tip to researchers from UMich:
https://lightcommands.com/

Adair

  • [Security-WG] November update, Adair Thaxton, 11/05/2019