netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] Blocking RFC1918 from connectors: It's happening!

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] Blocking RFC1918 from connectors: It's happening!

  • From: Jeff Bartig <>
  • To: "" <>, Adair Thaxton <>
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] Blocking RFC1918 from connectors: It's happening!
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 20:32:52 +0000

INTERFACE-CONNECTOR is kind of poorly named, as it is used in a number of applications.  It is a config template (JUNOS apply-group) that is used in the configs on Internet2 routers to apply a number of standardized settings for "edge" interfaces in both the R&E and I2PX routing tables.  It applies configuration for things like MTU, firewall filter ACLs,  It would be better named INTERFACE-EDGE, given where it is applied.

All I2PX edge logical interfaces (121 private peers, 18 public exchanges, and 115 participant) should have INTERFACE-CONNECTOR applied on them.  When the firewall filter specified by INTERFACE-CONNECTOR is updated to include the RFC1918 filtering, all of the I2PX peers will be covered by this change.

Previously, INTERFACE-CONNECTOR was also applied to VRF interfaces such as Internet2's Cloud Connect services.  In those VRFs, it is highly likely that private addressing would be in use and validly need to be routed.  Brian is wrapping up a project to deploy a new template for those interaces, so RFC1918 sourced packets won't be filtered in those VRFs.

Jeff