netsec-sig - [Security-WG] DNS Root Servers via R&E (Was: Re: DNS Serving Stale to the rescue?)

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

[Security-WG] DNS Root Servers via R&E (Was: Re: DNS Serving Stale to the rescue?)

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Brad Fleming <>, Dave Diller <>, Akbar Kara <>, Bill Owens <>, NTAC <>, Kim Milford <>
  • Subject: [Security-WG] DNS Root Servers via R&E (Was: Re: DNS Serving Stale to the rescue?)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:08:13 -0600
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Based on my local evaluation of DNS root server routes available to me, I have dropped several such routes learned via our Internet2 R&E peering, but not all of them. In several cases I am utilizing alternate routes learned via Internet2 TR-CPS, that were significantly better than the route available from Internet2 R&E, but that were not preferred because of the higher local preference we give to R&E routes. Other cases I'm utilizing routes learned via direct local peering or Internet transit.

For the record, I'm only accepting B, H, and L roots via Internet2 R&E, I'm dropping (by origin ASN) all other DNS root servers learned via our Internet2 R&E peering. Note the B and H roots currently only have two severs each, therefore the Internet2 R&E peering provides as good or better connectivity to those roots as any other path available to me.

Further, we have a separate direct peering with GPN and learn and prefer the KanREN L-root via that path. However in addition, I'm keeping the path learned via Internet2 R&E as a back up path to that node for robustness.

Based on my local evaluation, I have two recommendations;

1. Each regional network and/or campus should evaluate whether or not root sever routes learned via their R&E peering should be preferred over other options they likely have.

2. The NTAC should consider a policy for what root server routes to accept into the Internet2 R&E route table.  My recommendation is to not accept DNS root server anycast routes for nodes that are not hosted on the north american continent, particularly from International Partner R&E networks.

I believe all root severs operators have at least one node hosted somewhere on the north american continent.  Therefore, there is no advantage provided by accepting off-continent DNS root server routes into the Internet2 R&E route table, because there will always be a better alternate routes available.

Thanks