netsec-sig - Re: [Security-WG] Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

Subject: Internet2 Network Security SIG

Re: [Security-WG] Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Security-WG] Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 17:35:50 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:0SIPrxRHdRwAUcbSEYSdjvWIv9psv+yvbD5Q0YIujvd0So/mwa67YhSN2/xhgRfzUJnB7Loc0qyN7PCmBDdLuMvJmUtBWaIPfidNsd8RkQ0kDZzNImzAB9muURYHGt9fXkRu5XCxPBsdMs//Y1rPvi/6tmZKSV2sfTZyc//4EZPIjtimkv+905zVfwhSgjehO/V/IAjlgx/Ws5woho0qFas1wRuB9mVPfcxIwmV3KFaYn1D34cLmr80ryDhZp/90r50Iaq79ZaltFbE=

Paul,

To me it's not clear that the adversary not changing tactics is worth the
trade-off of them being able to use the tactics on other potential victims
(nor that everyones incentives are aligned). In more conventional settings
where you aren't worried about the attacks scaling their attacks with the
ease they can on the Internet, I agree it makes sense. With the ease of
scaling attacks on the Internet, it's not obvious to me it doesn't make sense
to make attackers change tactics as often as we can.

But no, I'm not familiar with research or objective evidence either way.

Von