ndt-users - Re: NDT on Debian init.d script

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: NDT on Debian init.d script

  • From: "Daniel A. Ramaley" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: NDT on Debian init.d script
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:55:13 -0500

From reading the LSB documentation you linked to, i suspect the script i
forwarded yesterday supports LSB. I wrote it basically by modifying
another daemon's init.d script. It might be worth testing my script on
Red Hat. With luck, it will work.

If anyone has a Red Hat system running NDT, could you please test the
script i sent yesterday?

--Dan

On 2013-04-18 at 10:36:54, Jon Bringhurst wrote:
>If possible, it might be a good idea to code an init script against
>the LSB so it'll work (in theory) on both rhel and debian based
>systems.
>
><http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Co
>re-generic/tocsysinit.html>
>
>Debian has made an effort towards doing this, but it seems like
>they're still having some issues with it.
>
><http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=208010>
>
>-Jon
>
>On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
>
><>
> wrote:
>> The init.d startup script that ships with NDT is very Red Hat
>> centric and doesn't work on Debian. At first i'd hacked it up until
>> it (just barely) worked. This morning, however, i wrote a new one
>> that should work properly on Debian. It is attached.
>>
>> After putting the file in /etc/init.d and setting appropriate
>> permissions, symlinks can be created with "insserv ndt".
>>
>> If this script meets the project's quality standards, please
>> consider it for inclusion. It should not replace the Red Hat init.d
>> script, but rather, be offered along side it. If this seems useful
>> and you'd like it to be a bit more integrated, please let me know.
>> In that case i'd be
>>
>> happy to create patches to do the following:
>> 1) Rename the existing conf/ndt to conf/ndt.redhat
>> 2) Add conf/ndt.debian
>> 3) Modify conf/autostart.sh to detect the OS and install one as
>>
>> appropriate.
>>
>> If that method of getting it into the source is not correct, i'd be
>> happy to create patches to do it differently; just please give me a
>> little guidance as to what would be appropriate.
>>
>> --Dan
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: