ndt-users - Re: Please help me test - some machines hang on outbound test

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Please help me test - some machines hang on outbound test

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: Alex Yarbrough <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Please help me test - some machines hang on outbound test
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:06:12 -0400

Hey Alex,

On Sep 17, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Alex Yarbrough wrote:

Thanks so much for responding. Since this is my first experience with hosting NDT, and with the performance toolkit in general, I am not sure if I am missing something in the initial configuration. The web interface seems like it is only capable of toggling NDT on or off. I hope you can bear with me. All I know is that only XP/2003-based machines can complete the throughput tests, but they hang afterward so I can't view any of the post-test analytics. All of my 7/2008/OS X/ubuntu machines hang on the outbound throughput test, regardless of what browser or build of java they are running.

On the other hand, all of my systems run the test correctly on the UCLA NDT, using the same version 3.6.4:
http://ndt-1.core.ucla.net/

It may be a bug in NDT that only shows up in certain network situations.

When you say update to 3.6.5.1, I  take it you mean installing one of the RPM releases? How can I do that if I'm using the pS-Performance Toolkit? If I bounce the server, it boots from the ISO, won't that revert my updates?

Do a yum install ndt-server and it should install the new version. A reboot will revert the updates, but it will point us in the right direction if it works.

I wish I could find a real VM appliance so I can commit customizations to the machine. I would be eternally grateful if you know of a perfSONAR VMDK or OVF I can use.

You can install the NetInstall version of the Toolkit which allows you to do this. Working in a VM, however, is not recommended as the owamp data will likely be misleading, at best, due to clock skew.

Cheers,
Aaron

Thank you guys, very respectfully
Alex