ndt-users - Re: increased client testing?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: increased client testing?

  • From: Alan Whinery <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: increased client testing?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:17:11 -1000

Hi Tom, Mark,

There is a whole community of a certain personality-type out here who
seem to thrive on checking their DSL and cable connections. I had one
guy who kept calling and emailing me whenever his home DSL was operating
at 95% instead of 100% of spec. They will find open NDT pages and share
them with their friends, and generally chop up your NDT schedule 24x7.
So far, the test collisions seem to happen not-so-often, but I have
spent much time thinking about how to limit less-authorized use. One
idea is to allow 5 test per day and then relegate them to a filter,
etc. They really like the web100-clt command line version too, so
limiting access to the web NDT page doesn't cut it.

On the other hand, as long as NDT limits the number of concurrent tests
to "reasonable", many NDT sites don't really suffer from the
machinations of these interesting specimens.

Try googling your site name -- I would imagine it shows up in discussion
list posts by "personality-type-NDT". I tried explaining this to Rich
once, but I don't know if I succeeded in making it clear why I was
talking about restrictions.

- Alan