ndt-users - Re: Using NDT in virtual machines

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Using NDT in virtual machines

  • From: "Heather L. Sanders" <>
  • To: Aris Adamantiadis <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Using NDT in virtual machines
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 07:43:52 -0400

Hello Aris,

I have worked with NDT on virtual machines, as part of our effort to
virtualize our systems.

On the install itself:

While this does not pertain directly to installing the NDT application
on your given operating system, it is important to note when setting up
the virtual machine that if you are setting up a VM that is small ( less
than 10 GB ), that you should partition your disk with a small swap
partition ( less than 1 GB ) and the remaining disk allocated to your
root partition. I have learned from experience that you will run into
disk space issues otherwise when building your custom kernel.

On reporting quality:

When I took over the NDT project here, I did many side by side
comparisons between the real hardware and virtual hardware. The reports
were virtually identical, with the exception of what NDT reported as
what was the fastest link in the user's connection. The VM reported
incorrectly. However, the real hardware was running an older version of
NDT, and the differences could possibly be a version issue. I have not
yet had time to run a test where real hardware and virtual hardware are
running the same version of NDT.

Heather Sanders

Aris Adamantiadis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see NDT as a useful tool for debugging problems with our customers. We
> make an extensive use of virtualization technologies (especially ESX)
> and it would be conveniant to install this new service on a virtual machine.
>
> This leads to my question : is the NDT team aware of any recommendations
> while installing NDT in a virtual machine ? Will the quality of the
> reports and analyzis be impacted by the fact it's running on a VM with a
> virtual network controller ?
>
> Thanks by advance,
>
> Aris Adamantiadis

begin:vcard
fn:Heather L. Sanders
n:Sanders;Heather
org:Saginaw Valley State University;Information Technology Services
adr:;;7400 Bay Road;University Center;MI;48710;United States
email;internet:
title:Linux Systems Administrator
tel;work:989-964-2156
tel;cell:989-326-3300