ndt-users - Re: Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?

  • From: Tom Throckmorton <>
  • To: Seth Peery <>
  • Cc: 'Richard Carlson' <>,
  • Subject: Re: Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:25:52 -0500

On 2/5/09 3:34 PM, Seth Peery wrote:
> Fellow NDT-users,
>
> I'm hoping to resurrect an archived discussion on the parsing of
> web100srv.log. The messages below, from 2006, were the most recent that
> I could find that addressed a method of figuring out which log entries
> corresponded to what NDT variables. I'm wondering if there has been any
> additional development in this area.
>
> I developed the "Community Broadband Map" tool at Virginia Tech
> (http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/maps/broadbandmap.php), and I've merged
> NDT with a number of other web-based maps since the original project.
> At the time, I did not pull all the variables from the applet into the
> PHP that does the DB insert when a user runs a speed test - just
> timestamp, c2sspd and s2cspd. Now I'm hoping to retroactively parse
> web100srv.log into a format that can be imported into a database and
> then associated with the existing entries by making a key out of the IP
> address and timestamp, which should give me a unique identifier.
>
> We've got the development resources here to construct a parser for this
> log file if need be (which could then of course be shared with the
> community), but before I embarked on this, I wanted to see if anyone has
> a) some documentation of the order of the variable names in the log
> file beyond the comments in web100srv.c
> b) an active effort to develop a parser with which we might
> collaborate

*waves northward*

Hello Seth,

I've thought about doing something similar before, and have my eyes on
the code added in ndt-3.4.x that provided db logging (which Rich refers
to in the original thread you included) - see ndt-$ver/src/ndt_odbc.*
I've not yet tried it myself...

Sounds like a good starting point and/or opportunity to collaborate....

Cheers,

-tt

--
Tom Throckmorton
Sr. Network Management Engineer

"Connecting North Carolina's future today"