ndt-users - Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?

  • From: "Seth Peery" <>
  • To: "'Richard Carlson'" <>, <>
  • Subject: Revisiting: Parsing web100srv.log in sync with client output?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:34:16 -0500

Fellow NDT-users,

I'm hoping to resurrect an archived discussion on the parsing of
web100srv.log. The messages below, from 2006, were the most recent that
I could find that addressed a method of figuring out which log entries
corresponded to what NDT variables. I'm wondering if there has been any
additional development in this area.

I developed the "Community Broadband Map" tool at Virginia Tech
(http://www.ecorridors.vt.edu/maps/broadbandmap.php), and I've merged
NDT with a number of other web-based maps since the original project.
At the time, I did not pull all the variables from the applet into the
PHP that does the DB insert when a user runs a speed test - just
timestamp, c2sspd and s2cspd. Now I'm hoping to retroactively parse
web100srv.log into a format that can be imported into a database and
then associated with the existing entries by making a key out of the IP
address and timestamp, which should give me a unique identifier.

We've got the development resources here to construct a parser for this
log file if need be (which could then of course be shared with the
community), but before I embarked on this, I wanted to see if anyone has
a) some documentation of the order of the variable names in the log
file beyond the comments in web100srv.c
b) an active effort to develop a parser with which we might
collaborate

I don't want to step on anyone else's toes in the community if this is
an ongoing project; furthermore I want to make sure that I am correctly
interpreting which variable is which.

I will appreciate any insight the community might have into this matter.

Seth Peery
Senior GIS Architect
Enterprise GIS Research and Development Administration
Virginia Tech

(540) 231-2178