ndt-users - Re: the indeterminate link type

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: the indeterminate link type

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Maurice Volaski <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: the indeterminate link type
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:01:00 -0500

Hi Maurice;

The NDT server puts the interface into promiscuous mode and measures the arrival time of packet-pairs. The "unknown link type" message indicates that this task is failing. The typical reason for this is because there are multiple NIC's installed and you are not using the 1st interface in the list.

Run the '/sbin/ifconfig' command and determine the name of the interface you are using (eth0 is the 1st interface).
Then start the web100srv process with the '-iethx' option (where x is the interface number). If you are using the ndt start script from the conf directory, then edit this file and add this option to the WEB100SRV_OPTIONS line.

The other possible issue is that the web100srv is not running as root, so it does not have permission to put the interface into promiscuous mode. Use the 'ps' command to verify the owner of the web100srv process.

I just started the NPToolkit ISO image as a VMWare Fusion client on my Mac and it properly reported the bottleneck line using the eth0 interface.

Rich