ndt-users - Re: Am I seeing the right results?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Am I seeing the right results?

  • From: Peter Van Epp <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Am I seeing the right results?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:34:46 -0700

The "slowest link is gig" is likely caused by the server NIC card
having
interrupt reduction (it has a correct name but I don't remember it :-)) on.
NDT guesses link speed by packet interarrival time from the NIC if it delivers
multiple packets per interrupt that timing is disrupted (this can usually be
disabled in the NIC driver although perhaps not easily). Before I turned it
off on our gig link it used to claim I had an OC192 (which was of course news
to me). Throughput looks about right for a well performing 100 meg link
though.