ndt-users - Re: advice invoking ndt applet multiple times

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: advice invoking ndt applet multiple times

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Carla Hunt <>,
  • Subject: Re: advice invoking ndt applet multiple times
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:50:26 -0400

Hi Clara;

At 03:24 PM 5/30/2007, Carla Hunt wrote:
first, thank you for all of the work on this tool. NDT is a very
useful tool!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

we are currently looking to add a couple of features and are not sure
of the best way to approach. we would like for a user to be able to
visit the main page of our NDT server and input the name of their
location.

You might want to look at the contrib directory. There is a javascript program from Virginia Tech that creates a google map mashup, plotting the client location on the map. This might meet the needs to identify the clients location.

we would also like for the NDT applet to be invoked
multiple times from one
click of the "start" button. given a very limited applet development
skill set, we are investigating either using another applet to invoke
the NDT applet in a loop, or modifying the NDT applet to include a
swing based timer that would run the NDT tests based on a timer.
the timing element might be executing the NDT tests at a rate of 5x
per hour until the browser window is closed.

If you want to run repetitive tests then I suggest you use the command line client instead of the browser version. The command line client (web100clt) comes with the package and it gets installed into the /usr/local/bin directory. You can build this client program on other OS's (and you can download a Windows executable version from the NDT download web page). It would be a simple matter to use cron on a *nix box or use the Windows XP scheduler to run tests on a repetitive basis.

a few questions we have are:
--is this possible
--which would be better, invoking the NDT applet from another applet
or modifying the NDT applet to run on a timer, or
--is there a better way?
--any chance this capability could make its way in as a feature
request :)

any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the web100clt program and see if that meets your needs.

Regards;
Rich

regards,
Carla