ndt-users - File System Full and Protocol Error!

Subject: ndt-users list created

File System Full and Protocol Error!

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: File System Full and Protocol Error!
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:49:40 -0500

Hi Gang;

For the past few years the SC conference has had a NDT server on the show floor. This year I used the Knoppix live cd which supports both the NDT server (http://ndt.sc06.org:7123) and the NPAD server (http://npad.sc06.org:8200). The server came up about 3 weeks ago during the hot-stage process and it's major user is the local infrastructure group setting up the conference network. Yesterday morning they came in and reported that the server was failing with a Protocol Error! During the S2C throughput test.

I jumped on the server and started looking around and found that the USB thumb drive file system was full. This caused the NDT server to fail with the Protocol Error! message. It started working again after freeing up some space on the drive.

So it looks like there is a bug in the code around some of the logging functions. If the log message fails, then the next test gets a protocol error message. I'll look into this shortly (once SC ends) but at least I know what to start looking for.

I'll let everyone know when this gets fixed. In the mean time, if you are running a server from the Knoppix Live CD, check your backing store or maybe try writing the log file to /dev/null.

Rich

Richard A. Carlson e-mail:

Network Engineer phone: (734) 352-7043
Internet2 fax: (734) 913-4255
1000 Oakbrook Dr; Suite 300
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

  • File System Full and Protocol Error!, Richard Carlson, 11/14/2006