ndt-users - Duplex mismatch detection not really working

Subject: ndt-users list created

Duplex mismatch detection not really working

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Duplex mismatch detection not really working
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:32:11 -0400 (EDT)

I have a question about the duplex mismatch detection in NDT. I've yet to see
it ever detect a real duplex mismatch. I've tried creating a duplex mismatch
on purpose by setting my laptop's eth port to 100/full and leaving the switch
port at Auto (resulting in 100/Half on the switch). In this config, a NDT
test will report "Packet queuing detected" but nothing about a duplex
mismatch, even though I know there is one there. The same thing happens when
a customer with a duplex mismatch runs a NDT test.
We are a large colocation/hosting provider and one of the common issues we
have here is duplex mismatches between our switches and the customer's
equipment. One of the main reasons we installed a NDT server was to help
customers troubleshoot duplex mismatch issues themselves.
Can anyone shed a little light on exactly how NDT detects duplex mismatches
and if there is anything I can do to make the NDT server detect duplex
mismatches? My NDT server is here:
http://ndt.viawest.net/
I'm currently running NDT 3.3.19 (I was previously running ndt-3.3.12, seemed
to have the same issue). Other info that might be of use:
Web100 kernel patch version: web100-2.5.11
Web100 userland: 1.5
Kernel version: 2.6.17.11-web100
Linux distro: Fedora Core release 5
100Mb Full Duplex Ethernet connection from the server to switch
GigE datacenter backbone