ndt-users - Re: Java 1.5 now the minimum?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Java 1.5 now the minimum?

  • From: Peter Van Epp <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Java 1.5 now the minimum?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:47:21 -0700

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:01:16PM -0400, Richard Carlson wrote:
> Hi Peter;
>
> I'm not aware of any Java specific code that would require the 1.5
> SDK. You should be able to build it with any of the 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5
> SDK's.
>
> However, there are some JRE / SDK version issues so if you build with the
> 1.5 SDK, you need the 1.5 JRE.
>
> So can you rephrase your question, are you talking about the SDK or JRE
> version?
>
> Rich

You are assuming I know the difference :-) although I think you have
probably answered my question anyway. I expect that the upgrade to SUSE 10.1
has brought along the 1.5 Java SDK which we then used to build the server and
now we would have to get 1.5 on the clients. So if we move the server back
(or
more correctly if we can move the server back :-)) to 1.4 the current web
clients should again work as they used to. These java folks don't seem to be
much on backwards compatability :-).