ndt-users - Re: failed middlebox testing

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: failed middlebox testing

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: Clayton Keller <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: failed middlebox testing
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:29:21 -0400

Hi Clay;

[snip snip snip]
Here are the current processes after I have restarted them:

root 8370 1 96 14:20 pts/1 00:00:01 /usr/local/sbin/web100srv -a -l /var/log/web100/web100srv.log
root 8377 1 0 14:20 pts/1 00:00:00 /usr/local/sbin/fakewww -l /var/log/web100/fakewww.log

I have configured iptables to allow connections on tcp - dest. ports 3001, 3002, 3003, and 7123.

When configuring web100 in the kernel (2.6.12.5 - kernel.org ), I have the following configured:

--- IP: Web100 networking enhancements
[*] Web100: Extended TCP statistics
(384) Web100: Default file permissions (0) Web100: Default gid
[*] Web100: Net100 extensions
[*] Web100: Netlink event notification service

GID 0 is root.

File permissions for /usr/local/sbin/web100srv rwxr-xr-x root.root
All files in /usr/local/ndt are root.root with the exception of tcpbw100.html which is root.users. All files in this folder are rw-r--r--

The files in /usr/local/lib are all root.root as well, including the libpcap.a file that was compiled prior to installation of ndt-3.1.4a.

All of this sounds and looks correct. And just to be clear, the client sees the middlebox test end and starts the "client to server" test. This test fails with the "Server failed: ..." message.

While running the test I went ahead and did a packet capture as well. The following information is being passed on the connection to port 3003:

ip.web.100.server;ip.client.doing.test;1456;-1;-1;

This is the result of the middlebox test. The IP addresses, MSS value and the window scale values. Port 3003 is then closed and re-opened.

I also see SYN, ACK, and ACK FIN traffic passing on 3001 and 3002.

I still am seeing the 'Go' flag error. I thank you for all the help thus far, and am curious what ideas you have as far as proceeding further with this.

No problem, thanks for putting up with my buggy code. .-)

OK, what is the last thing you seen on port 3001. This is the control channel and it should be sending a message back to the client after the middlebox test ends. Right now I'm simply reusing an old buffer so the string should be the port numbers "3002 3003". You should see this message twice. Once before the middlebox test and again after. If you only see it once, then the server is probably failing to initialize the Ethernet interface (the libpcap stuff). You can try forcing libpcap to use a specific interface with the -i flag. So if you are have 1 network interface then the option "-ieth0" should be added to the command line.

It may also help to see where the debug messages stop. Turn on a couple layers (at least 2) and let me know what the last message before the sig 11 comes. You might need to redirect the stderr output to a file or the messages may scroll off the screen. I'm looking for what comes after the ""C2S test calling init_pkttrace() with pd=" message.

Rich

Clay

Richard A. Carlson e-mail:

Network Engineer phone: (734) 352-7043