ndt-users - RE: installation help

Subject: ndt-users list created

RE: installation help

  • From: "Pepmiller, Craig E." <>
  • To: "Richard Carlson" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: installation help
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:09:10 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Carlson [mailto:]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:54 PM
To: Pepmiller, Craig E.;

Hi Craig;

I just tried and yes, the fakewww server is running but nothing connects on

ports 3001 - 3003.

I get the same, even from machines on the same network.

Here are the steps I would take in debugging this problem.

1) are you running a root?  The server process uses the libpcap routines to

generate raw packet arrival timing information.  I've seen cases where

running as a non-root user causes the process to crash.

      Yes, the machine has no nonroot environment.  I just rebooted and made sure I did an ‘su’ prior to starting the servers just in case.

2) from the command line below, you using the -a, -d, and -r options

         -a = generate the admin.html page (yes that displays)

         -d = turn on level 1 debugging

         -r = record web100 data for client-to-server test

   Try starting the process in the foreground "/usr/local/sbin/web100srv

-ad".  This will enable level 1 debugging messages and you can look for

error messages.

      Done.  I added the message received to the end of the web page.

3) check to see if the web100srv process is running

         a) use ps to check the process table

         b) use netstat -nat to see that 3001 is in a listen state.

      Yes, it shows as process 5055 and port 3001 is listed as listening.

4) what's in the log file?  Look in /usr/local/ndt/web100srv.log to see if

there are any error messages.

      Nothing labeled an error.  It does say ‘Signal 17 received from process 5055’.  Again see the web page.

5) try testing with the command line client and localhost

(/usr/loca/bin/web100clt localhost) this should avoid any firewall or

packet filter problems.

      Still nothing.  It seems to generate ‘signal 17’ and then ‘signal 13’ on each attempt. The client window displays the message “Information: The server ‘localhost’ does not support this command line client.”