ndt-users - Re: help

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: help

  • From: Richard Carlson <>
  • To: "Chia-Hung Hsu" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: help
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:37:06 -0500

Hi Chia-Hung;

I'm the developer of the NDT tester and I got this via the bounce mechanism on the mail server. I'm in the process of moving this email list to the server, and I've cc:ed it on this reply.

To answer your question. The NDT server uses a packet-dispersion algorithm to gather the bottleneck link information. It fork()'s a child process to handle the measurements via the libpcap library routines. This means the NDT 'web100srv' process must be run as root, to allow it raw access to the local NIC.

There are 2 possible reasons you can get this message.

1) your server has multiple interfaces and the NDT server is monitoring eth0.
Use the -i dev option to specify the correct interface
for example "/usr/local/sbin/web100srv -i eth1 -a >& /dev/null" tells the
web100srv process to monitor eth1 instead of eth0

2) the web100srv process is not running as root.
Change your startup procedure to have root start the web100srv process

I hope this helps.

Rich Carlson