ndt-users - A bit of a stretch topic for this list...

Subject: ndt-users list created

A bit of a stretch topic for this list...

  • From: Phil Reese <>
  • To:
  • Subject: A bit of a stretch topic for this list...
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:30:05 -0700

Stanford's NDT has been up for nearly two years and it is starting to show some age. Its a dual PIII system running on a single 9gig SCSI drive. It is using the Stanford flavor of RedHat modified with web100 extensions and other than updating the NDT app a time or two, not much has changed on the system.

Over time, the server wedges itself more and more often. Not sure why, but the whole system is frozen. The only choice is to hit the reset switch. Initially, this didn't happen very often and the reset worked well. Of late, the fsck is taking longer and longer to count to 100%.

As I thought about rebuilding the system I've looked at the updated Web100 tools and Userland routines, and their nice offering of pre-patched kernels. Rich has a number of new NDT offerings but most of the advertised sites seem to be still on the older 5.2.x.

Since this is a dedicated server, only running NDT and iperf, and I'd expect others have dedicated servers too, I began to wonder if there might be a small, but interested market, for a live CD version of all the web100 and NDT tools, with the caveat that it can be loaded onto the systems hard drive.

Do any readers of the list have suggestions for a distribution that has worked well for them, suggested NDT version to run, or any comments on the live CD idea?

Phil Reese
Stanford U