ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] RPM and Flash

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] RPM and Flash

  • From: Jordan McCarthy <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Peter Boothe <>
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] RPM and Flash
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:52:29 -0500

Hi everybody,
I should mention that one of the M-Lab team members at Google has
reported that Java is soon going to institute yet another layer of
security that is likely to make it nigh-on impossible for the NDT Java
applet to work correctly without significant intervention on the part
of the end-user. I'll let him elaborate, but it may be that trying to
get Java fully stable at this point may be something of a lost cause.

Jordan

Jordan McCarthy
Open Technology Institute | New America Foundation
Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2 BFBD A2E9 C08D 8042

On 12/22/2014 09:46 AM, Jakub Slawinski wrote:

> [...]
> 3.7.0-rc1 / work on the "randomly doesn't work" issue
>
> BTW. Aaron, can you create the ticket regarding "randomly doesn't
> work" issue with all the details regarding how to reproduce the
> issue?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>

> Regards, Jakub.
>
> On 12/22/2014 03:23 PM, Aaron Brown wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I’d be fine with doing an -rc1 release, but given this major
> showstopper of “randomly doesn’t work”, I’m rather hesitant to call
> it “3.7.0” and claim we’re done.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2014, at 9:10 AM, Aaron Brown
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> This problem occurred in java 7 update 71, so it’s not just an
>> older
> version problem. The clients have been running OS X with java 7
> installed, and it crops up whether in firefox or safari.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2014, at 5:15 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Aaron, does the problem still occur for testers on mentioned
>> java version? If
> yes, could you provide details about environment so I would be able
> to reproduce this bug? If not then are we ready to release new
> version of NDT?
>>
>> Best regards Sebastian
>>
>> W dniu 15.12.2014 o 15:59, Sebastian Kostuch pisze: Hi Aaron the
>> problem with applet for me was related with old java version
> (1.6). After changing to newer one (1.7) I haven't noticed any non
> working tries (tested many times and all worked ok). Is it possible
> that people who tested it have also similar issue?
>>
>> Regards Sebastian
>>
>> On 09.12.2014 16:50, Aaron Brown wrote: Hey Sebastian,
>>
>> We can do an initial -rc release, but “regularly doesn’t work for
>> no
> apparent reason” is definitely a show stopper for the final
> release.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Dec 7, 2014, at 11:56 PM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aaron I have tested java applet using these RPMs and it turned
>> out that
> sometimes it didn't work (using fakewww), however I wasn't able to
> find reason for such behaviour. Besides, for me it worked almost
> all the time, only few times I have problem with running tests (no
> errors, it just stopped working).I guess it may be something with
> fakewww as only using it I have noticed such sporadic problems.
> But, again, it worked almost all the time after all. Is it that
> what blocks us from releasing NDT now or are there any other tasks
> which should be completed before it could happen?
>>
>> Regards Sebastian
>>
>> On 02.12.2014 18:43, Aaron Brown wrote: Hey Sebastian,

. The setup I’ve been using is the ‘fakewww’ one.

>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2014, at 8:38 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aaron would it be helpful if you will send me this RPM and I
>> will try if it
> works ok on my system?
>>
>> Regards Sebastian
>>
>> On 01.12.2014 20:15, Aaron Brown wrote: Hey Sebastian,
>>
>> I wanted to make sure it wasn’t somehow a problem with the RPM I
>> built
> as opposed to the two different client systems that have tried it
> so far.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Nov 28, 2014, at 7:02 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aaron, currently not but if needed then I can try to make some
>> host public so
> you will have access. However I'm wondering what exactly will you
> be able to verify this way? The problem with applet not working
> sometimes is related to which OS, web browser and java version
> client uses, so will hosting page on another system make any
> differences? Please correct me if I have not understood your
> question right way :)
>>
>> Regards Sebastian
>>
>> On 25.11.2014 16:37, Aaron Brown wrote: Hey Sebastian,
>>
>> Do you have a publicly accessible host that I can test again?
>> I’m
> wondering if it’s some kind of OS X problem.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Nov 24, 2014, at 4:41 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again after further investigation I have noticed that the
>> problem on linux
> is related with bug in these versions of java (based on discussion
> here<http://www.webmo.net/discus/support/messages/3/710.html?1415693192>).

When I installed older version as suggested there (7u67) I was finally
> [...]
> completely unclear to me that I need to hit anything other than
> “Start Test”. However, if I click “Start Test”, it will bomb out in
> a bizarre fashion, because I haven’t clicked on the flash applet
> below the buttons to get around the flash blocker, and since I
> can’t scroll the page at all, I can’t even see that there is
> something for me to click. I just have to blindly click in that box
> that’s below the blue page, and I’m given no guidance to do that.
> Beyond that, it’s rather jarring to have both appear in that page.
> If we could shrink the applet down so that it’s a very small bar,
> and specifically note the “flash block” issue in the text somewhere
> (especially if they click “Start Test”, and it bombs out), that’d
> be vastly more intuitive.
>>
>> If you want to try to see the issue for yourself, install a
>> flash
> blocker in Chrome or FF, and then navigate to
> http://desk179.internet2.edu:7123/ and select “Use Flash”.
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> <Mail Attachment.png>
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2014, at 6:23 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aaron, I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The purpose of
>> this site is
> to provide the user JS UI and the ability to choose which client
> (java or flash) should be used as backend right? But this client
> itself is not supposed to be used directly here as the GUI written
> in HTML + JS does the whole work. If we want to provide user these
> clients direct then we have separated pages for it (tcpbw100 and
> tcpbw100-java). So what about hiding these controls on the
> widget.html site so that only JS UI will be visible? Or am I
> missing something and it should work different way?
>> Also for ensuring: by writing that it worked you mean JS UI or
>> running
> flash client located on the bottom of the site?
>>
>> Kind regards Sebastian
>>
>> On 13.11.2014 15:43, Aaron Brown wrote: Hey Sebastian,
>>
>> Ah ok. I’ve got Flash Block on the browsers so the applet did
>> load,
> but because of how the page loads, wasn’t visible so I didn’t
> realize I needed to click on it first. Once I clicked on that, it
> worked. Given the prevelance of flash blockers, and the odd nature
> of this HTML5 + Flash combo, is there a better way that we can
> better locate the actual Applet on the page itself so that, and put
> some text in, letting folks know they may need to click on the
> hidden flash applet first?
>>
>> Cheers, Aaron
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 9:36 AM, Sebastian Kostuch
> <<mailto:>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aaron, as Pawel mentioned there is currently problem with
>> calling applet
> functions from JS as from
>> java 7u45 update there are more security restrictions to applets.

Basically now it is necessary to add Caller-Allowable-Codebase line to

wrote:

>> For what it's worth, the M-Lab platform uses the second
>> approach, embodied in this file:
>> https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ndt-support/blob/master/flashpolicyd.py

If this code looks reasonable to you all, please feel free to use it!

>> Jordan
>>
>> Jordan McCarthy Open Technology Institute | New America
>> Foundation Public Key: 0xC08D8042 | 4A61 3D39 4125 127D 65EA DDC2
>> BFBD A2E9 C08D 8042
>>
>> On 11/07/2014 04:46 AM, Paweł Gesek wrote: Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have been looking at updating the NDT RPM so that the flash
>> client there works out of the box(Issue162
>> <https://code.google.com/p/ndt/issues/detail?id=162>). I've
>> committed changes to the branch
>> Issue162(https://code.google.com/p/ndt/source/detail?r=1144),
>> which make the HTML5-frontend install with NDT and changed the
>> index page in the apache configuration to the new widget.html.
>>
>> As far as running the Flash client out of the box goes, the NDT
>> server has to expose the crossdomain.xml file, which is required
>> for the Flash client to allow opening sockets to the server.
>> Unfortunately the socket policy does not go through HTTP, but a
>> simple proprietary protocol that uses the TCP port 843. I am
>> wondering for the best way to handle this in the NDT rpm. We can
>> possibly add a requirement for a package like
>> https://code.google.com/p/flashpolicyd/ and use that to serve
>> the file. We could also consider bundling some sort of a simple
>> server script(like this
>> https://github.com/xantus/mojo-websocket-examples/blob/master/script/flash-policy-server)

that would serve the policy file. Do you preferences on how to resolve