ndt-dev - Re: [ndt-dev] Flash client improvement

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

Re: [ndt-dev] Flash client improvement

  • From: Tiziana Refice <>
  • To: Aaron Brown <>
  • Cc: Sebastian Kostuch <>, "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: [ndt-dev] Flash client improvement
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 13:44:29 +0000

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Aaron Brown <> wrote:
Hey Sebastian,

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:03 AM, Sebastian Kostuch <>
 wrote:

Hi,
after comparing flash and java clients I have prepared some initial list of suggestions/improvements which could be done to make the flash one better. Please check them and let me know which one are worth/not worth doing. Also if you have something to add feel free to announce it in response :)

Flash client improvements:
1. Add some basic options at start page (for example prefered IP protocol, server name)

I'd prefer these options be hidden in an "advanced" button that would pop up a dialog box allowing you to set them. The groal, of sorts, should be to make the default 'view' simple, and with as little jargon as possible. Basically, just a "Start Test" button, and some text like it is now. Also, it'd be great if the text could be set via the HTML so sites could customize it.

About the protocol, I am not sure whether it's possible to select IPv4 or IPv6 from within Flash.
(Flash gives very limited access to the TCP/IP stack).

Just FYI: About the server selection, I will commit shortly a JS snippet to automatically select the closest NDT server (among all the NDT servers hosted on the M-Lab platform).

2. Add possibility to re-run test after first completion

Seems reasonable.

SGTM

3. On Results/Details/Errors/Debug views add appropriated title (or just highlight somehow active button)

It'd probably be good to make it easy for a site to disable the DEBUG button. Also, ERRORS should probably just be merged into results somehow.

4. Maybe add ability to download results as file

You'd probably need to save the results that are already there since you can't re-request results from NDT; it throws them out after its done with the test.

5. Add some basic progress bar during tests (indicating how many tests are completed/left)

That would be good, though it'd probably be good to leave it as a percentage instead of a "number of tests remaining".

AFAIK, any UI animation can only be done outside Flash (for example in JS), because Flash is single threaded.

6. Make some changes in text result presentation (for example errors will be in red color, date will be bolded etc)

Seems reasonable.

SGTM

These of course are only proposals so feel free to comment

Kind regards,
Sebastian Kostuch

Thanks!

Cheers,