ndt-dev - [ndt-dev] Java applet's future

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

[ndt-dev] Java applet's future

  • From: Sebastian Kostuch <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [ndt-dev] Java applet's future
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 14:51:39 +0100

Hi,
according to fact that java applet currently does not work on default security settings (to get it running I had to change these settings to medium) I would like to open a discussion (or rather continue the one from January this year) about future of this applet. It seems like the goal is to totally delete applet usage and exchange it with flash client or using HTML5 features (please correct me if I am totally wrong). It is related with web browsers blocking unsigned java applets by default. While I think we should continue with this approach there is one suggestion according current state of applet: maybe to get this applet running without lowering security settings (and to somehow exceed its life and usability) we could sign or let user specify certificate file to use to do this (I mean for example adding new option to configure process which will allow to set this file location and will then automatically sign applet with it). What is your opinion about it? Is it worth adding such feature (or maybe we should do it another way) or isn't it so important? Any feedback is welcome and appreciated :).

Regards,
Sebastian Kostuch