ndt-dev - [ndt-dev] Issue 73 in ndt: Running ndt web100srv without dns/ etc/hosts entries take an unnecessarily long time - tests sometimes fail

Subject: NDT-DEV email list created

[ndt-dev] Issue 73 in ndt: Running ndt web100srv without dns/ etc/hosts entries take an unnecessarily long time - tests sometimes fail

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: [ndt-dev] Issue 73 in ndt: Running ndt web100srv without dns/ etc/hosts entries take an unnecessarily long time - tests sometimes fail
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:05:23 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Severity-Medium

New issue 73 by : Running ndt web100srv without dns/ etc/hosts entries take an unnecessarily long time - tests sometimes fail
http://code.google.com/p/ndt/issues/detail?id=73

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1.Run ndt without a dns server or any entries in /etc/hosts for client or 0.0.0.0
2.Connect with a client and you will see pauses between tests
3.The accumulated delay can be be enough to make all the test timeout and fail completely.

Tests run fully and completely without delays/ timeouts.
Client failure upon timeout looks like this
~~~
[root@machine3
~]# time web100clt -n 172.20.1.2 -ll
Testing network path for configuration and performance problems -- Using IPv4 address
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 941.55 Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . Protocol error - missed text message!
S2C throughput test FAILED!
Protocol error - missed prepare message!
META test FAILED!
Protocol error - expected results! got '', msgtype=2

real 2m8.677s
user 0m0.392s
sys 0m3.194s
~~~

As opposed to what it should look like

~~~
[root@machine3
~]# time web100clt -n 172.20.1.2 -ll
Testing network path for configuration and performance problems -- Using IPv4 address
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 941.55 Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 922.28 Mb/s
sending meta information to server . . . . . Done

... results here ...

real 0m32.601s
user 0m0.858s
sys 0m5.643s
~~~

Even running with the clients IP in /etc/hosts but not 0.0.0.0 takes about 50 seconds for a test to complete successfully.

Debian wheezy Linux, ndt build based on latest svn r796.

This is caused by the I2util library looking up every(?) connection with getnameinfo, running server on debian wheezy I experience a 5 second timeout before missing entries fall back to IP address.

The quick fix for this is to add the NI_NUMERICSERV flag to the I2Util getnameinfo call. I don't feel that resolving hostnames is that important especially as most of the time they are not being printed to the user.

Attached are server output running debug level 6 with times to complete the _I2AddrSetNodePort() (which does the getnameinfo call) function logged. i2MONO diff: is the real time - i2CPU diff: is CPU time - NAME IS: is the name it resolved to.

Attachments:
Without DNS lookup attempting to resolve 12.8 KB
With NI_NUMERICSERV flag 20.6 KB

  • [ndt-dev] Issue 73 in ndt: Running ndt web100srv without dns/ etc/hosts entries take an unnecessarily long time - tests sometimes fail, ndt, 01/15/2013