mw-announce - Fall 2004 Member Meeting in Austin

Subject: Middleware Announcements

Fall 2004 Member Meeting in Austin

  • From: Laurie Burns <>
  • To: , , , , , , ,
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Fall 2004 Member Meeting in Austin
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:18:42 -0400

Dear Colleagues:

As our Fall 2004 Member Meeting in Austin, Texas draws near, I want to give you a few updates and reminders. The meeting and related events are coming together very well, and we can expect another terrific gathering of the Internet2 membership.

+ Plenary Speakers
I am pleased to announce our distinguished plenary speakers for the Fall 2004 Internet2 Member Meeting:

- Dr. Larry Faulkner, President of the University of Texas at Austin and Chair of the Internet2 Board of Trustees will give an address at the opening plenary on Tuesday, September 28. Dr. Faulkner will speak on his perspective as a University President on the impact of advanced networking on science, research, and teaching.

- Dr. Henry Chueh, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, will speak on "Unlocking Our Treasures: Enhancing Access to Tissue for Genomics Research" at the closing plenary session on Thursday, September 30. Dr. Chueh is also Director of the Laboratory of Computer Science (Division of Medical Informatics), Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital.

+ Meeting Program
The Fall meeting program features over 130 presentations and meetings in a wide range of topic areas, such as advanced applications technologies, cyberinfrastructure, network infrastructure, future network technologies, security for advanced networks, federations, enterprise authority management, and other middleware topics. Sessions on K/20 activities, regional network updates, and national and international collaborations will also be presented. The complete program can be viewed at:
http://events.internet2.edu/2004/fall-mm/agenda.cfm

Note that the program is searchable by topic; these are listed in the pull-down menu at the top of the program pages. Meeting attendees will receive a printed pocket guide that will supplement the full program, which can be viewed online or produced in printer-friendly format.

+ Demonstrations
Advanced applications demos are scheduled for Tuesday, September 28, 1:00--5:00 p.m. and Wednesday, September 29, 10:00 a.m.--5:00 p.m. Demos will feature applications such as emergency medical services, collaborative visualization and segmentation, network traffic analysis and proactive protection, tele-collaboration of medical imaging for surgical planning, Internet2 Commons videoconferencing and collaboration tools, IPv6, streaming 3D over Internet2, and others.

+ Performance Event and Reception
On Tuesday evening, September 28, a performance event will take place on the University of Texas at Austin campus. This event will feature the world-renowned Miro Quartet (http://www.miroquartet.com) and showcase the use of cutting-edge networking and streaming technologies. The performance will take place in two venues: one where the audience will see and hear the quartet in person and another where the audience will see it via live, streaming High Definition Television (HDTV) and hear it through 11-channel, immersive surround-sound. During intermission, the audiences will switch venues giving each a chance to experience both versions of the performance. The evening will conclude with a survey to help gauge the effectiveness of the remote vs. the live venue.  There will be a light dinner reception before the performance, as well as a post-event reception.

+ Meeting Registration
If you have not already registered, I encourage you to do so as early as possible:
http://events.internet2.edu/2004/fall-mm/registrationintro.cfm
Note that registration fees increase after September 10.

+ Hotel Reservations
For hotel reservations, please note that Internet2 has reserved a block of rooms for attendees at the Hilton Austin. The hotel block expires Friday, September 3, so please reserve your room now!  For information about the hotel, lodging, and travel, see:
http://events.internet2.edu/2004/fall-mm/hoteltravel.html

As the date for the meeting approaches, I encourage you to check the web site often to obtain further information and updates.
I hope that everyone had a very pleasant summer and a good start to the new academic year. I look forward to seeing you at our meeting in Austin!

        Laurie

Laurie Burns
Executive Director, Member and Partner Relations
Internet2
3025 Boardwalk, Suite 100
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Office:  (734) 913-4251
Cell:  (734) 604-9558
Fax:  (734) 352-4913
www.internet2.edu

  • Fall 2004 Member Meeting in Austin, Laurie Burns, 09/02/2004