megaconference - [Megacon] From India__Seeking to Videoconference with College Students on Wed 17 Oct

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] From India__Seeking to Videoconference with College Students on Wed 17 Oct

  • From: Eric Miller <>
  • To: SA-I2-SIG <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] From India__Seeking to Videoconference with College Students on Wed 17 Oct
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:57:27 +0530

Dear All,

Hello!

I teach Humanities courses at the Indian Institute of Technology -

Madras (in Madras/Chennai, on India's southeast coast,

http://www.iitm.ac.in ).

A professor friend here who is teaching a Communication

course has asked if I might help to facilitate a

videoconference between [him and his 30 students]

and [a faculty member and his/her students] elsewhere.

The mission on my side would simply to give IITM students

(and faculty) the experience of an interesting, engaging

videoconference.  This could possibly lead to ongoing

videoconferences.

The specific requested day and time is:

Wed 17 Oct, 2-4pm (India time).

So, if you (or someone you know) -- with a group of students --

might possibly be interested in partnering with us for this

videoconference, please let me know.

I teach Storytelling and Creative Writing -- perhaps I could

help lead a collaborative story-making/telling session during

the imagined videoconference.

I also practice and teach "Ethnographic Videoconferencing"

(along the lines of Ethnographic Photography and Video) --

perhaps participants could practice a bit of this with each

other also.

(There could also be e-mail type communication by
student participants with each other before and after the
imagined videoconference.)

I would be most open to suggestions regarding the content

and structure of the imagined videoconference -- my one preference

being that we might avoid extended lectures, and instead might

utilise methods of audience-participation, conversational interactivity,

and activity-based teaching-and-learning -- and perhaps might

occasionally break into small groups.

Many thanks,

- Eric
Chennai

Dr Eric Miller (PhD in Folklore)
www.storytellingandvideoconferencing.com

Director, World Storytelling Institute,
www.storytellinginstitute.org

Co-facilitator, Indian Storytelling Network,
www.indianstorytellingnetwork.org

  • [Megacon] From India__Seeking to Videoconference with College Students on Wed 17 Oct, Eric Miller, 08/07/2012