megaconference - [Megacon] Bluejeans

Subject: Megaconference

[Megacon] Bluejeans

  • From: "Kirch, Joseph" <>
  • To: Rusty Presley <>, Matt Carner <>, "Sheets, John @ VTC" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [Megacon] Bluejeans
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:37:40 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

If anyone has an interest in a free trial on this service please email me and we can get this set up for you.

Blue Jeans Network Expands Video Collaboration Capabilities

LinkedIn

Twitter

Facebook

http://www.eweek.com/images/share.gif

Cloud-based Service Makes Video Conferencing as Accessible, Easy-to-Use as Audio

CHICAGO, April 16, 2012 – InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation and the world's largest conferencing and collaboration services provider, and Blue Jeans Network, the leader in interoperable video conferencing services, announced a partnership today that will allow InterCall to offer the Blue Jeans service to its customers worldwide, supplementing InterCall’s leading portfolio of audio and web conferencing services with Blue Jeans’ robust multi-party video conferencing.

Through this partnership with Blue Jeans Network, InterCall allows users to connect to meetings via services such as Cisco, Google, Microsoft Lync, Polycom, and Skype, regardless of the hosting platform. The service is cloud-based, and customers familiar with InterCall’s audio conferencing platform will find it just as accessible and easy to use.

“This new service eliminates the challenges that often make video conferencing difficult,” said Robert Bellmar, Senior Vice President of Conferencing and Collaboration for InterCall. “By allowing users to join a meeting from various devices and platforms, video conferencing is now a more viable meeting choice than ever before.”

The Blue Jeans conferencing service provides a cost-effective, scalable solution that enables workers to collaborate within the enterprise and beyond. The secure service extends the reach of video conferencing beyond specialized rooms so colleagues and clients can connect without worrying about location or device, including any video-enabled tool or a standard phone line. As a cloud-based offering, Blue Jeans lets customers avoid the high costs and complexities associated with traditional on-premises bridging solutions (commonly known as multipoint control units, or MCUs).

The startup, which offers cloud-based video conferencing services, also received $25 million in the latest round of investments.

Blue Jeans Network, the cloud-based video collaboration startup that came out of stealth mode a year ago, is celebrating that anniversary with new Web browser access to its technology and another $25 million in funding.

Blue Jeans is among a growing number of companies looking to offer businesses video conferencing that is simple and significantly less expensive than solutions from larger players like Cisco Systems and Polycom, and offers easy interoperability between the disparate systems on the market.

The result after the first year has been good, according to company officials. Over the past 12 months, Blue Jeans’ cloud-based service has connected more than 250,000 people from more than 3,000 cities into hundreds of thousands of video conferences.

Some of Blue Jeans’ customers span a range of business segments, from Facebook, Gawker Media and Match.com to Stanford University and the Sierra Club.

"Our customers have embraced the powerful premise of interoperability, which the Blue Jeans Network is built upon," CEO Krish Ramakrishan said in a statement. "Customer adoption and feedback offer strong validation that we succeeded in our goal to make video meetings as easy, open and affordable as audio."

Interoperability has been a thorny issue in the video collaboration space, particularly over the past few years, as demand for the technology has grown along with the number of solutions on the market, from high-end immersive telepresence offerings to popular consumer-focused solutions like Skype. In addition, vendors are quickly expanding the devices their solutions can run on, from desktop and notebook PCs to smartphones and tablets.

Polycom, AT&T, Verizon and others in October 2011 created the Open Visual Communications Consortium (OVCC) with the goal of improving interoperability by creating services that enable businesses to communicate via video calls on standards-based and proprietary platforms. Since then, other companies, including Microsoft in May and Cisco this month, have joined the OVCC.

There also are a growing number of companies, from Citrix Online to Vidyo, that offer software-based solutions that aren’t dependent on proprietary hardware and can support disparate endpoints from multiple vendors.

 Blue Jeans Network leverages the cloud to create online meeting environments where people can collaborate regardless of the endpoints they use. The solution can support various video and audio protocols, and the bridging capabilities enable businesses to have more than a couple of people join the meeting without relying on expensive hardware-based multipoint control units (MCUs).

Blue Jeans officials on June 27 announced that their service will enable Web browser access, letting people connect to a meeting using only a browser—Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, Google’s Chrome, Apple’s Safari or Mozilla’s Firefox—and a Web camera. Through the capability, such users will be able to collaborate with other meeting participants who may be using other systems, such as those from Cisco, Polycom or LifeSize Communications, or other solutions, like Skype or Microsoft Lync.

The browser technology, which is now in beta, expands Blue Jeans’ addressable market to more than 2.3 billion people, according to officials.

Among other new capabilities are expanded interoperability to include Cisco’s Jabber and TelePresence solutions and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), customized log-in pages for users who want to include their own brand in the meeting, improved layout controls, and support for single sign on and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML).

The company also announced $25 million in Series C funding, bringing the total amount of money raised by Blue Jeans to $48.5 million. The company will use the money to expand sales, marketing and operations and to improve the technology.

Joseph J. Kirch
Global Account Executive, NYNC

631-261-1781 New Direct Office Number
631-617-8926