mace-opensaml-users - [OpenSAML] xmltooling configure broken?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

[OpenSAML] xmltooling configure broken?

  • From: Mike Brennan <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [OpenSAML] xmltooling configure broken?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:01:27 -0600 (CST)

xmltooling-1.4 AIX 5.3

I am trying to specify the location of curl when building xmltooling.
I have tried each of the following options to configure:

1. Specify the directory where curl is installed:

configure --with-curl /usr/local/shibboleth/curl

But instead of using the path I specify, configure finds an old version
of curl that I DON'T want to be used:

configure:19348: checking for curl-config
configure:19366: found /usr/local/bin/curl-config
configure:19378: result: /usr/local/bin/curl-config

And complains that it is not suitable:

checking for CURLOPT_SSL_CTX_FUNCTION in curl.h...
configure: error: need libcurl that supports CURLOPT_SSL_CTX_FUNCTION

2. Specify the directory where curl-config resides:

configure --with-curl /usr/local/shibboleth/curl/bin

Seems to still be looking in /usr/local/bin, but this time can't find
curl-config there! (Not that I want it to.)

checking for curl-config... /usr/local/bin/curl-config
configure: error: curl-config not found, may need to
use --with-curl option

Ah, but I did use it. And why do you keep looking in other
locations?

3. Specify the full path to curl-config:

configure --with-curl /usr/local/shibboleth/curl/bin/curl-config

Same result as (1) above; found old version and doesn't like it:

configure:19348: checking for curl-config
configure:19366: found /usr/local/bin/curl-config
configure:19378: result: /usr/local/bin/curl-config

checking for CURLOPT_SSL_CTX_FUNCTION in curl.h...
configure: error: need libcurl that supports CURLOPT_SSL_CTX_FUNCTION

So:

** What exactly is the argument to --with-curl supposed to be?

** Why does configure look elsewhere for curl even when I
specify --with curl? Shouldn't configure abort if my --with-curl
is not acceptable? (To do otherwise is fraught with peril.)

** Why does configure recommend I use --with-curl even when I
do in fact use --with-curl?

** What is the immediate workaround?

It appears that I will have a simlar issue with log4shib-config,
but I haven't gotten that far yet?