mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Webservice support in OpenSaml

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Webservice support in OpenSaml

  • From: shri kanth s <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Webservice support in OpenSaml
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:38:44 -0400

Thanks Brent/Scott for the reply.

Brent, Actually  you read my mind. Can you Provide your input on  few more questions?

<<<<<<<<
If you want to use Axis2, b/c you are using modules, etc that are
necessary, then you have to deal with the impedance mismatch between
Axis2's Axiom model and OpenSAML's DOM model.  Axis2 provides a
DOM-based impl of the Axiom API called DOOM.  However, last I checked
you couldn't use it with OpenSAML b/c it didn't implement all of DOM
Level 3.  I don't know if that has changed, you'd have to ask the Axis2
people.

The other alternative is that you just manually serialize and re-parse
the OpenSAML objects, to convert to/from Axiom where needed.  Yes, it's
expensive, but it's the only choice I know of if Axiom DOOM is not yet
an option.

With the above option(manually serialize and re-parse)....It seems when my application receives Response from Webservice...i need to parse each and every field in the response and construct an OpenSaml object manually........are we on the same page regarding this?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If you don't actually *need* to use Axis2 code for you client (i.e.
don't need WS-* modules, etc), then we have a basic SOAP client in
OpenSAML that you can use.  An example is here:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUserManJavaSOAPClientExample

It's very simple, nothing fancy, just uses HTTPClient to send/receive a
SOAP 1.1 Envelope, everything represented as OpenSAML XMLObjects.

I tried the above approach....The problem with the above is....If you have Document/Wrapped styled webservices where your message is wrapped inside another element(method name).....Then the above approach will not work....because HTTPSOAPClient expects only opensaml objects to be included as arguments.

Thanks.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Brent Putman <> wrote:
To add to what Scott already said:

On 10/22/10 1:01 PM, wrote:
> Hi ,
>
>     I am trying to use SP initiated SAML interaction. I generated stubs
> for the Remote service using Axis2. But here the issue lies in
> converting the OpenSAML request objects to WS Client stub objects and
> vice-versa in case Response.
>
> What is the feasible and best approach for handling SOAP interactions
> where we get relieved from so called transforming objects to/from
> OpenSAML objects?

If you want to use Axis2, b/c you are using modules, etc that are
necessary, then you have to deal with the impedance mismatch between
Axis2's Axiom model and OpenSAML's DOM model.  Axis2 provides a
DOM-based impl of the Axiom API called DOOM.  However, last I checked
you couldn't use it with OpenSAML b/c it didn't implement all of DOM
Level 3.  I don't know if that has changed, you'd have to ask the Axis2
people.

The other alternative is that you just manually serialize and re-parse
the OpenSAML objects, to convert to/from Axiom where needed.  Yes, it's
expensive, but it's the only choice I know of if Axiom DOOM is not yet
an option.

> Can i use xml over http rather than using AxisStubs or SOAPClient? so
> that i will use HttpClient to post the message and will read the
> response from the OutPutStream.

I'm rustly on the various modes of usage of the Axis2 client stuff, but...

If you don't actually *need* to use Axis2 code for you client (i.e.
don't need WS-* modules, etc), then we have a basic SOAP client in
OpenSAML that you can use.  An example is here:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUserManJavaSOAPClientExample

It's very simple, nothing fancy, just uses HTTPClient to send/receive a
SOAP 1.1 Envelope, everything represented as OpenSAML XMLObjects.

--Brent